Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aches and Pains...

Aches and Pains...

Hi, I'm a bit of a noobie round here. I've been reading for a while, and thought I'd ask a question.

I've not really done much running, maybe a mile or two tops, but since a move back to the northwest, Preston, a friend of mine has shown me the joys of fell running.

It's been pretty good so far, but I seem to be forever in pain. Ankles, feet, tendons, shins, leg muscles, back... the list goes on forever.

What I'm worried about is over training. I've been trying to wait for all the aches and pains to go before resuming training (got a 1/2 marathon in september) but I'm really paranoid that if I train when I'm sore, I'll end up with a bad injury.

Is it normal to spend every working day with the soles of your feet aching? If so, I'm certainly in the norm!!

Alan Raby
    Last edited by alanr; 09-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Banned

Re: Aches and Pains...

Hi Alan
    Try " barefooting" it will help to rid you of the aches & pains.
    I find if I have had a good run on the fells & wake next day with sore legs, if I go for a jog in barefoot shoes everything seems to settle down.
    Also wearing barefoot shoes for everyday use will help to strengthen your feet and help with posture.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    Hi Alan
    Try " barefooting" it will help to rid you of the aches & pains.
    I find if I have had a good run on the fells & wake next day with sore legs, if I go for a jog in barefoot shoes everything seems to settle down.
    Also wearing barefoot shoes for everyday use will help to strengthen your feet and help with posture.
    Well I must say, that sounds a little extreme for me at the moment! (plus I'm a poor student, who can't afford trainers for every occasion )

While i'm in this thread, and rather to create lots of threads i'll ask another question.

I've been told I'll probably need a rain resistant coat. Since money is a little tight, what are the recommendations for cheap as chips jacket? I've seen a few threads that say the atomic one is pretty decent, and can be had for around £65 quid if your after last seasons. Is this good enough for cycling and fell running, and since I can't really try before buy, should I just look for a large, as I probably won't use it other than Cycling to uni in the wetter months?

I use a Montane Atomic DT for both running and cycling (not that I do much cycling). They are really good even in really foul weather so well worth the money. As for "barefooting"... you don't need to spend money on "barefoot shoes" to run barefoot, just watch where you're putting your feet!

Hi Alan, do you stretch after running? I found that can make a big difference to recovery. Theres any amount of advice on t'interweb about which ones to do.
    As far as the jacket goes, wait a bit and if the weather looks like being decent enough that you won't actually have to wear one, hows about one of those cheap 'pacamac' type jackets form Yeomans or Milletts or somewhere, until you can afford a half decent one? Mind you, winter isn't far off...
    By the way, does the atomic DT have a hood that stows away? I cant be doing with them flapping about, but I was thinking of that jacket for running?

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    By the way, does the atomic DT have a hood that stows away? I cant be doing with them flapping about, but I was thinking of that jacket for running?
    You can roll the hood up and there's a strap that will hold it in place.

Regatta stuff is cheap as chips well nearly and it is not fancy but functional they do some jackets and overtrousers that are breathable and have taped seams - they would pass a kit check so you could do any fell race in them. Also, aldi do good cycling jackets which are good for running but the ones I have had do not have hoods.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Hey up alanr!
    You need to allow time for your body to adapt to different terrain, distace or speed etc. Dont be too hard on yourself, build up slowly and enjoy your running.

Or just embrace the pain and think of it as weakness leaving your body.:wink:

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alanr View Post
    Hi, I'm a bit of a noobie round here. I've been reading for a while, and thought I'd ask a question.

I've not really done much running, maybe a mile or two tops, but since a move back to the northwest, Preston, a friend of mine has shown me the joys of fell running.

It's been pretty good so far, but I seem to be forever in pain. Ankles, feet, tendons, shins, leg muscles, back... the list goes on forever.

What I'm worried about is over training. I've been trying to wait for all the aches and pains to go before resuming training (got a 1/2 marathon in september) but I'm really paranoid that if I train when I'm sore, I'll end up with a bad injury.

Is it normal to spend every working day with the soles of your feet aching? If so, I'm certainly in the norm!!
    I think one of the difficult things when you start running is to come to understand what is 'run of the mill' pain' and what is, or is about to become, an injury. All you can do is progress sensibly and listen to your body. Staying off tarmac helps too, especially avoiding racing on the road
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 09-08-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Monday morning
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I think one of the difficult things when you start running is to come to understand what is 'run of the mill' pain' and what is, or is about to become, an injury. All you can do is progress sensibly and listen to your body. Staying off tarmac helps too, especially avoiding racing on the road
    I suspect a lot will come from trial and error for me. I ran Horrick Hill the other week, with a calf that was in agony from overtraining. I just thought sod it, I'll deal with it later (my first ever race, so wasn't going to drop). Next day I was pain free, which was more worrying than anything else.

As for tarmac running, it's not ideal but I mainly have to run on it. I was amazed at the difference between fell and road 'aches', not even comparable.