Thread: Otley Chevin - first fell run

Cool Otley Chevin - first fell run

I'm quite new to this site and thought I d say hello and share my first proper fell run with you all. I usually run off road as much as possible but I've only ever raced on road which is not my favourite place to be if I'm honest so fell running appeals a lot.

My first proper fell run today was on the Chevin in Otley. Ran from the east chevin carpark up to the far top (with the mobile mast or whatever it is) and then over to the surprise view and down as fast as possible (21 mins for 2.4 miles)

It was great fun and I really enjoyed it. I'm definitely getting into fell running instead of road.

If anyone knows any shorter events with less emphasis on navigation for me to tackle in the near future I'd be happy to hear of them.

Re: Otley Chevin - first fell

A good place to run Rob.

My club are up there most Wednesdays at this time of year - Surprise View car park 6.30pm if you fancy it:wink: (that said I probably won't be there this week)

As for short fell races it's worth looking on the calendar pages on the fellrunners website to see what's coming up and takes your fancy - if you like steep and short then the Burnsall Classic is on 21 August

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Entry for Burnsall closes soon.

Stick Great Whernside in your diary Oct 30th, a firm favourite for a lot on here.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 09-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks guys, burnsall is probably a little too close, I fancy getting a few more steep ascents under my belt first. I'll check out Gt Whernside though. Thanks for that.

@Multiterrainer - I take it you're with Horsforth Fellandale? I was thinking of joining actually so who knows we may well bump into one another at some point.

Welcome. Most BOFRA races are short and sweet:

http://www.bofra.org.uk/fixtures.php

Super Moderator

A few fairly local races before the New Year that spring to mind:

Beefy's Nab

Bronte Way

Rivock Edge

Stoop

Withins Skyline

Auld Lang Syne
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    Thanks guys, burnsall is probably a little too close, I fancy getting a few more steep ascents under my belt first. I'll check out Gt Whernside though. Thanks for that.

@Multiterrainer - I take it you're with Horsforth Fellandale? I was thinking of joining actually so who knows we may well bump into one another at some point.
    Correct Rob, and being a small (but v friendly) club we need all the members we can get.

Thanks Multiterrainer, Keep your eye open for me peeling about the chevin of an evening. I was up there last night again, 2.2 miles in 18 min on a different route.

Only problem is I just can't manage an easy session. Once I get going I get caught up in it and end up tearing along. It's great fun though

Hi Rob
    Other side of Chevin is Skyrac meet Tuesday 7:30 at Nunroyd Park Guiseley if you can't make the Horsforth run, again a small fell club running over Chevin,Baildon Moor,Ilkley Moor and every other place between.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

I saw some of the Fellandale runners tonight whilst out. I didn't hit the Chevin till 8ish and caught the tail end of them running up through east quarry carpark. Felt a bit rude overtaking everyone but I was out for a short fast run again so needs must.

I was the lone guy in the white top if anyone saw me (waves)