Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: Bullock Smithy

It was my first BS... Been wanting to come and have a go having heard it talked about on Fellsman a few times.

Grim weather this year for most of it, after Brand Top I made loads of silly nav errors in the dark which was frustrating and cost me quite a lot of time but fairly happy with 13:36 and 59.6 miles / 9,500' on my Garmin.

I enjoyed it, however there's far too much tarmac for me and no real ball-buster hills, (like the first 3 on Fellsman). There's no doubt it's brilliantly organised and CP's every 4 miles really helped me break the event down into manageable chunks, if it wasn't a 400-mile round-trip it would be a on my list every year.

Looking at the live results - it seems like there was a lot of DNFs and the times in general seemed a bit slower than previous years.

Hope everyone enjoyed it, now it's over - that headwind was getting a bit annoying after about 7 or 8 hours!

Pretty much agreed with much of what you said GeeeM, a bit too much road once we hit the white peak area. I was lucky in that I teamed up with another couple of blokes who knew the route very well. I don't know how the weather managed that to have a constant head wind on a circular route!! I am marked as a DNF when I finished in 17 place in 13:00:30. Probably related to the trouble I had registering and there being two of me in the entrants.

You were 35 minutes after me for much of that time I was in the room feeling like I was going to puke, had a rought stomach for the last couple of hours.

Well, think I underestimated this one and wasn’t quite sufficiently prepared. Was maybe a bit too casual in my approach. There's plenty of runnable sections in the latter stages, but I wasn't really able to take advantage of them….. I faded badly and had to walk much of the last 3-5 miles. Had originally been thinking maybe finishing in around 13 hrs and for a good part of the route was roughly on that schedule…….. but crawled into the scout hut after 15.21. Ouch. Oh well, all good training for Lakes In A Day in 5 weeks.

It is all on specific paths, tracks, roads etc..... no open fell to contend with, but some of the micro nav in the dark (and driving rain on this occasion) can be tricky and slow. In fact, as already mentioned, a bit too much road and stony tracks - that bashes the quads and feet to pieces. By comparison, I think the Fellsman terrain underfoot is more forgiving on the legs/feet.

It’s a well organised event and has lots of regular checkpoints (on average every 4 miles) with cheery/helpful marshals/crew and a nice mix of refreshment options throughout. Cooked breakfast at the finish at 3.30am with a can of celebratory lager went down very well. Shame there are no showers available, so you have to make do with a basic clean-up. Opted to sleep in the back of my car (back seats folded down, air mattress & sleeping bag), rather than on the scout hut floor, which worked surprisingly well.

The weather was so grim for the majority of the event (real shame), but thankfully temperatures were mild, even during the night section.

Really worrying to see/hear a runner was verbally/physically attacked just yards from the finish by a group of Neanderthal thugs. As we came past the police were there dealing with the matter. Saw the runner in question in the hut and thankfully appeared to be OK. Not what you need after nearly 60 miles!
    Totley AC

Mark - were you in the team of 3 who I met early doors and leapfrogged for a while. I suggested you put your water bladders in the freezer to stop them going mouldy!

I left the HQ at around 4am and there were loads of drunken revellers roaming Hazel Grove and into Stockport - I've never really had any problem with drunks when running - a few have jogged along with me for 100-200 metres but soon drop away.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeeM View Post
    Mark - were you in the team of 3 who I met early doors and leapfrogged for a while. I suggested you put your water bladders in the freezer to stop them going mouldy!
    Ah, yes indeed.... that was me with Barbara (Mrs C, in our matching blue Montane jackets ) and another friend of ours. Nice to (briefly) meet and chat with you, even though I didn't realise who you were at the time. And thanks again for the great advice on maintenance of water bladders.... top tip that.

Great to hear you finished OK and in a very good time too.
    Totley AC

Hiya!! DrPat! Great to run with you on Sat/Sun. It's not too often I get into a group preferring, usually, to do my own thing. But on this occasion it was great, a really well matched group, all something to offer with a bit of chat to boot!! Really pleases with my result in the end. Gonna have to recce a few more little 'time savers' for next year! Great race, love learning more about the route and its intricacies!! Where did you come off Middlewood Way, have you got a couple of GR points I can look at? I've looked at the map but nothing too obviously so much quicker!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

If you can see the blue line here it is. Don't know why it has been reduced in size from the file I am selecting
    MiddleWoodWayToEnd.jpg
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 09-09-2016 at 09:17 AM.

...aaand I've entered again! you can't keep me away from this one - will be 6th time
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Have a good one, Daz. I won't be there this year. (Just entered Grand Tour of Skiddaw instead.)

ok so for the record I DNF'd in 2018 (don't ask);
    I gave it a miss in 2019;
    was planning on a triumphant return in 2020...
    ...but was unable to train as I would've liked
    ...but that was ok cos I could always just walk it...
    but then obviously it was cancelled.

BUT
    I decided to do it anyway
    I doubled sections of the route backwards and forwards on 8 separate days (roughly 7-10 days apart)
    thus completing it both forwards and in reverse
    in a time of 13:29 forwards and 13:12 reverse
    call it 14:10 and 13:53 respectively if I add on 41 minutes for stops (that I didn't take in the short installments)
    this compares with my PB of 14:28, so quite pleased
    obviously this is a severe cheat as I was doing well-separated 3.5-4hr stints rather than two 14hr efforts, but still...
    anyhoo, I'm entered for 2021
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 04-12-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run