Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullock Smithy

Re: Bullock Smithy

Well done to everyone too! Me and the heat didn't get on too well, and being asthmatic, my pigeon-lungs couldn't cope very well even on the downhill cruises or even talk very well while running , so I decided to call it a day at Edale. Some not so nice previous experiences have taught me it's futile fighting it and I'd rather retire while in an state that I can just sit it out and live to run another day, rather than carry on and be a liability to the organisers or other competitors having to get medical assistance.

It was really nice to see and chat to many friends come through Edale, it was amusing to see how long folks were hanging around at the CP, the lure of seats, food and drinks was obviously strong.

Great, well organised event and I've not been put off and I'll be back if it chucks it down, with loads of clag

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Yes. Some similar feelings. I felt trashed the whole time after Edale Cross and could not really figure out why. Shouldbe used to the heat as we'd been abroad? Did I set off tooo fast with Helen? Beat myself up no end and struggled to find enjoyment. Not a fan of so much tarmac and foot trashing rocky trails. Shame you had to retire Helen - you were one of many. Thanks to those who kept me on track when I admitted to no reccees and no idea where I was. Good to chat- hope I didn't whinge too much. Marshalls were great- thanks.Disappointed with my time but at least it was not a dnf. Managed to loose 3kg?
    Hmm, a bit of a theme emerging here. I also was a bit nonplussed at how much of a struggle it seemed from quite early on. It's a slight consolation that people as experienced as you and Helen and others went through something similar.

I ran completely on my own from shortly after Earl Sterndale until just before the end of the disused railway when I saw two headtorches behind me. There was no way I was giving up two places at this stage in the event after so much suffering. The two fellas who came in just after me commented: "We may have run that last section a bit fast." I thought, "Not as fast as me, mate!"

Well done Sarah B, and thank you for helping me through a couple of recces! And well done to everyone else too. My first BS and I really enjoyed it. Delighted to finish in 14.33. All thanks to my wonderful running buddy Ruth who totally got me round. Amazing weather during the day, beautiful moonlight night, brilliantly organised, loved the checkpoints, loved the Red Arrows, great support on the way round, special thanks to my fellow Stockport Harriers who turned out to cheer us on...I might be back!

There seemed to be a lot of suffering, nausea and retirement out there. I didn't think it was that hot but the general concensus seems to be that it was a tough year. I don't feel quite so bad at being 1.5 hours off my 2010 time now.

I did my usual trick of setting off too fast, even though it felt perfectly comfortable at the time. By the foot of the climb to Edale Cross I'd blown up and had to watch everyone disappear up the hill as I slowed to 2mph or less. From past experience I knew it was just a matter of time until I found my equilibrium of maximum forward motion with just enough fuel to sustain it without nausea. It worked, sort of. At least I didn't get sick, which is always a blessing.

It was a strangely lonely event this year. Apart from the odd brief encounter and overtaking manoeuvre I ran mostly alone from Castleton. Some cyclists offered some admiring comments as I left the Castleton carpark. "We've just heard what you're doing and we think it's amazing", etc.
    I saw the Red Arrows as I approached Wheston (between Peak Forest and Miller's Dale).
    The moonrise behind me was spectacular as I approached Dowel Dale. I finally had to switch on my headtorch on the climb towards Brand Top as I caught up with a female runner who was wrecked with the dreaded nausea. (Sorry we didn't exchange names but I hope you finished.)

Daz, it seems I got your target time. Who'd a thought?

Thanks as always to the marshals, whose support and food are always welcome. The jam doughnut at Chelmorton and the hot dog at Brand Top are major highlights and fuelling opportunities not to be missed.

I seem to be the only one that missed the red arrows - I was probably too busy staring at my feet feeling sorry for myself

oh, and I chatted with dutch peaks at the start, but he doesn't seem to be anywhere in the results
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    oh, and I chatted with dutch peaks at the start, but he doesn't seem to be anywhere in the results
    I think I may have run with him on and off in the early stages (at least I do recall a thick accent that I identified as possibly Dutch). He finished with his group shortly after me as I cooled down on the ground outside. The interim results are incomplete though; some of the times are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I think I may have run with him on and off in the early stages (at least I do recall a thick accent that I identified as possibly Dutch). He finished with his group shortly after me as I cooled down on the ground outside. The interim results are incomplete though; some of the times are missing.
    If we're thinking of the same chap, I believe I must have been running with him as well. Had a pair of dogs running with him, from Earl Sterndale onward I believe!

we finished just before you nick 13.28 dutch, mark, myself a lad from stockport and a new 50years old from brighton,and of cause the two dogs.
    Last edited by Jolly Beggar; 03-09-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: rubbish spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I think I may have run with him on and off in the early stages (at least I do recall a thick accent that I identified as possibly Dutch).
    A thick Dutch accent??? Me?? Never! Queens-English, all the way!
    DtS: nice to meet you! The reason you didn't find me on the result sheet, is not because I collapsed in a pathetic heap on the middlewood way (although that's not far off the reality), but because my hand-writing at the registration was so rushed and rubbish, that they had me down as Tom Haidn. Fairly close to an anagram of Hanno Torn...
    Anyway, nice to sit next to you at the end Nick. Sorry for not being very talkative, but felt sick as a...and yes, those were my two border collies that joined the outing at Earl Sterndale!
    DtS, sorry to hear you had a hard time. As the Jolly Beggar and Mark Cliff can attest to, I can relate to how you must have felt; the last bit from Bollington was my most sorry display of running/ stamina yet!!
    All in all, had a fantastic day out, the checkpoints/ marshals were great, loved the soup at millers dale, and the Jolly Beggar is the best navigator!
    Thanks to you all!

Your name seems to be present and correct in the results now, dp. That explains a bit of a mystery now I know you finished ahead of me. I couldn't recall overtaking you again and I never saw your dogs until the finish.
    I'm sorry for confusing them with my applauding the finishers. I wondered why one dragged herself up from her slumber and came crawling to me, until you told me they are trained to respond to hand claps. Poor, bewildered pooches. Lovely pooches too.

For anyone who's interested I've just uploaded the pictures I took (when I wasn't trying to run.)