Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullock Smithy

Re: bullock smithy

Yeh, it is a great route. Did the bit from Hazel Grove to Peak Forest on saturday. Stunning section.

Looking at the date, I won't be playing ou as I'll be in Fontainbleau. Well there's always next year. Good luck to all

Britnick's your man for this one. He's done it lots of times and presumably can offer all sorts of advice. I might be tempted this year. (Now that Rotherham's gone all soft...!)

Ooh, Socks, hold me back. Restrain me and contain me. I'm getting all excited at the sight of this thread. I've started the BSH every year since 1996 (13 starts and 12 completions, but I had a pretty good excuse for my DNF in 2003). It was my first ever event and I'm addicted to it. It's also my local (I too was born in Stepping Hill, I work in Hazel Grove and I live half an hour's walk away from 3rd Hazel Grove Scouts). I got a shedload of entry forms after last year's event to leave at all the events I do this year. Unfortunately I don't think I can enter this year, since I'll be doing the UTMB the week before. If I don't do it, I'll volunteer to help instead. Time to pay back, methinks.

Few of us from Goyt valley striders are attempting it this year. For 3 of us it will be our first UM, The furthest we have done before is 26miles.
    WE have recced the first half over the last few weeks, This sunday we are attemping to run/walk all of the first half to millars Dale, we can then concerntrate on the
    2nd half. Hope to see some of you on route.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Any other thoughts on food, road route choice and grouping up at night?
    Food - there's plenty - quite enough to keep you going all the way round - sandwiches, biscuits, rice pudding, doughnuts, fruit, sweets, hot dogs (uurgh), etc, etc. Not all of these at every checkpoint though!

Road route choice - I've tried lots of alternatives over the years - not many give much time advantage. The only stage where I differ significantly from the 'official' route is Walker Barn to Whitely Green.

Grouping - it does happen but it's not happened to me when I've run it (and I've always finished inside 12 hrs). I have the impression that walkers are grouped at Earl Sterndale from dusk onwards so that they are in groups before the tricky sections to Brand Top and Cumberland Cottage. I suspect that if you arrive 'at a run' you'll not be grouped but if you really want to know you could contact the organisers.

HTH, Steve
    Hayfield Fell Races - https://www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/

I'm easily pleased George.

Spot on Steve with your comments. I'd expect nothing less from a veteran like you.

I'm nowhere near as fast as Steve but I've never been threatened with grouping. I must look faster than I am.

Thankfully the hinted compulsion in the instructions is not borne out in practice, in my experience. Quite right too. If you (look as though you) want to be grouped, you will be. If you're dressed for speed and appear keen to run back out the door, they'll leave you alone. Having a familiar (BSH veteran's) face (meaning you won't get lost) probably helps as well.

Steve's right about not following the suggested route between Walker Barn and Whiteley Green. Picking the most direct route via roads and footpaths is the way to do it.

Even the most 'linearised' and 'short-cutted' route from beginning to end will not be less than 56 miles, not that it's possible to 'short cut' on this event, since there is no official route. The original aim was always to make your own way between checkpoints via legitimate rights of way. Having a suggested route since the New Bullock Smithy Hike route after Earl Sterndale was introduced in 2000 hasn't changed that. That's why I love this event.

Did recce the last 20 miles on Saturday with George & cousin Gill. Hot day. Lovely views. Glad I've seen them cos it will be dark. Have just got a few revised hints from Britnick - the question is whether to recce again, stick to original route I've recce'd or risk a new route on the day. Knowing me I'll do a mixture of old & new bits and get totally confused!

Re: bullock smithy Maps

Does anyone know the best map for the event....was going to go for the OL1 - Dark Peak Area and OL24 - White Peak Area with a photo copy of the missing west section but wondered if anyone has any other ideas........I know Harvey do British Mountain Maps : Dark Peak Area but dont think it has the full route on.

First time for this one and really looking forward to it !

Recce'd the section from Peak Forest to Brand Top on Sunday... in pouring rain and clag. A bit tricky to follow the route notes in places, but we got that section done in five hours. Personally, navigation is going to be a challenge, so I am glad to have recce'd the area I don't know well in daylight, though I'll be trotting with a few other Macc Harriers.

Got a couple of blisters in the process due to new Inov-8s, so the the old Montrails may come out of semi-retirement!

Looking forward to Saturday now.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge