Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ricky's Race

Master and MR

Re: Ricky's Race

Noel if you know of an old person that lives near to you or someone who would like a bit of fruit please pass it on to them. Everyone knows someone. If not put it in your fruit bowl and enjoy it.
    Thanks for collecting it , I thought there was at least one more v40 in front but they may have gone the wrong way thinking about it now.
    Nice way to start my v40 days.
    It was nice meeting you for the first time, well run.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Noel if you know of an old person that lives near to you or someone who would like a bit of fruit please pass it on to them. Everyone knows someone. If not put it in your fruit bowl and enjoy it.
    Thanks for collecting it , I thought there was at least one more v40 in front but they may have gone the wrong way thinking about it now.
    Nice way to start my v40 days.
    It was nice meeting you for the first time, well run.
    That's very good of you Daz, I've got some ideas who I can give them to.

Enjoyed the race despite my poor time (due to the 'tuesday' incident)

Although I would like to know whether the midfield 'swearing' I keep hearing is for medical reasons or just poor race manners? Or is it just the voices in my head as the oxygen depletes?
    'Normal' people are the ones you don't know very well.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm having a go at Ricky's Race tomorrow. There's a bit more tarmac than I would prefer, so I hope my delicate little legs are up to it.

By the way, does anyone know who Ricky is?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm having a go at Ricky's Race tomorrow. There's a bit more tarmac than I would prefer, so I hope my delicate little legs are up to it.

By the way, does anyone know who Ricky is?
    Yes
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Anthony, there is an article on the Matlock AC website entitled The History of Ricky's Race 1997-2017 but I have no idea how to put it on here.

To find it, go to the website and click on Our Club, then on Personal Interest and go to page 4 and there it is.

Most people who have a race named after them are dead but Ricky is alive and still a decent runner, which is a surprise to many!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Anthony, there is an article on the Matlock AC website entitled The History of Ricky's Race 1997-2017 but I have no idea how to put it on here.

To find it, go to the website and click on Our Club, then on Personal Interest and go to page 4 and there it is.

Most people who have a race named after them are dead but Ricky is alive and still a decent runner, which is a surprise to many!
    Thank you; so now I know.

He's an ex-kickboxer; need to set up a match between him and Travs.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Good luck for Ricky's Race tonight Anthony.

I'll not be there as I'm doing Hob Hurst's tomorrow evening!

Master
    I suppose 92nd out of 162, and a time less than 150% of the winner's time, isn't too bad. But I felt completely knackered at the finish, even though I didn't feel that I was running very fast.

Very good conditions: warm but not too hot, not much mud, and the nettles and bracken had (mostly) been cut back enough not to impede progress. No real fell terrain, and the maximum altitude is less than my local Beacon Hill, but it was very pleasant running through the woods and over Oker Hill. Best part was the steep climb up Oker Hill. Worst part was the final descent from that hill: every time I thought "It's all downhill now", we would come to a level section or a small uphill, to break the downhill rhythm.

Hope all goes well at Hob Hurst's, Llani.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Hope all goes well at Hob Hurst's, Llani.[/QUOTE]

The 164 runners enjoyed a lovely warm, sunny and breezy evening for Hob Hurst's. At just over 5 miles and 850 feet it is not the toughest test but all the ascent comes in the first 2 miles and is runnable, even for me. After the first half mile of tarmac and rutted track the race is a combination of footpaths, grassy tracks, moorland trods and farmers fields the latter being grazed by Jersey cows whose milk ends up in the deliciously creamy Longley Farm yogurts!
    Once through Hell Bank plantation the moors then open up resplendent with the blooming purple heather. There is then a half mile out and back section which is uneven, scattered with rocks and the odd broken boardwalk up to Hob Hurst's House. The race instruction advise runners to keep to the right to avoid collisions, but I found that the vast majority stayed to the left which caused a few close misses.

Isn't everyone's natural inclination to keep to the left? Mine certainly is!

Once turned around at HHH it is all downhill back to Beeley, one's rhythm only broken by gates and stiles, then 100yds of tarmac to the finish at Dukes Barn.

I had a good run, knocking over a minute off my 2018 time when I was 1st MV60, but this time although 21st overall was only 3rd MV60. Two bloody youngsters finished 17th and 19th.

I now wish I hadn't done the RATRun of 8 miles and 1'100 feet the night before!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 14-08-2021 at 02:53 PM.