Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The first 10 Peaks Challenge

The first 10 Peaks Challenge

The first 10 Peaks challenge took place on 31st July 2010. There were times when I wondered why I had ever decided to let people take part for free! But it all payed off in the end. Thanks to all the event sponsors it was possible to not only organise this 45 mile walk/run but also to provide free Lakeland Spring water and bananas to all competitors. The goal, was always, and still is to raise as much money for charity as we could whilst testing peoples limits in beautiful surroundings. It's difficult to give accurate figures but I think we have raised in the region of £8,000 and £9,000 for the charities which makes it all worth while. Not only that I have received a lot of positive feedback from those who took part and everyone seems keen to give it another go next year. When hopefully the conditions will be kinder than they were at the end of July! Due to the poor weather conditions no one managed all 10 peaks so the challenge is on for next year - could you be the first to do all 10? I don't yet have a date for next years event but I will post a message when I have the date confirmed. Next year will be bigger and even better! Photos of this years event will be on the website from next week - see www.10peaks.com

The 2nd 10 Peaks Challenge

We have confirmed the date for the 2nd 10 Peaks Challenge which will take place on Saturday 2nd July 2011. No one completed the 73km course this year and entries are open for those who feel they are up to the challenge next year! If you would like to enter please visit our website www.10peaks.com. The entry fee is £30 but will increase to £40 from the end of January. The event is run on a non-profit basis with all entry money going towards the running of the event. Any proceeds will be donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Re: The 2nd 10 Peaks Challenge

Shame it clashes with the SLMM or I would be up for this - I guess the calendar is always just too full

I know, I didn't find out about that until after I'd set the date. Sadly the Lakeland 100 moved to my previous weekend so I felt I had to move to another weekend. I thought the 10 Peaks would be ideal preparation 4 weeks before the L100.

Having researched the route options, availability of summer leave from work, and the option of staying with relatives in Cumbria who can babysit/assist as support team etc, I'm happy to say that it looks like I'm going for this. It will be my long distance challenge event for 2011 (always try a different one to aim for each year) and hopefully a success on this will inspire me / give me some confidence for a future Bob Graham in 2012/2013. Sending my entry as soon as I've been paid next !

Master

Based on the fact that it covers the same terrain as the Lakeland 100 and has consderably more ascent (5600 mtrs only 1500 mtrs short of the total ascent for the Lakeland 100 in a shorter distance) this could be a beter option than the Fellsman, (which i have done a few times now) for me as my last long run before the UTLD, another thing in it`s favour is that there is 3 clear weeks for recovery before the UTLD rather than the 1 and a bit after the Fellsman, tis a tough call to choose though.

So a couple of questions does any body know if the 10 peaks is totally unsupported (I can not be bothered with support) and is the route fixed or can entrants choose there own lines between summits.
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-01-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

was reading yesterday u can choose your own lines, they just reckon there route is the best

all participants must carry a map and compass or GPS, and know how to use them.
    and know how to charge a GPS on the hill when its batteries run out?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    was reading yesterday u can choose your own lines, they just reckon there route is the best

Thanks Chamber34 the more I think about it the 10 Peaks thingy is becoming a better proposition for me all the time, and looking at the website I can see no mention of compulsory support, so all looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    and know how to charge a GPS on the hill when its batteries run out?
    Personally I have no issue with GPS, I navigate using map and compass,namely because that is the way I like to do it.

However there is normally a gps device lurking in my sac recording what I have done, ready to download to digital mapping on the PC, which allows me to analyse what I have done and show me where I have gone wrong and where I could do better and TBH if you wish to rely on a GPS for navigation, and fail to know the life of your batteries and carry spares if needed, then the only thing at fault is your planning not the GPS, pretty much the same as when you have lost your compass and or dropped and broken it, both of which I have done (no fault of the compass just my clumsiness) and on one occasion I was very glad of the GPS that I had in my sac.

So as I said earlier I reckon 10 Peaks is looking favorite for me at the moment, I also think that the fact it is not a race is a +
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-01-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Yes, Chamber 34 is right, it is up to each competitor which route they take between peaks as long as you do the peaks in the stated order (this is for safety reasons so we have a rough idea where lost people might be). The route includes 4 checkpoints which will provide water, sports drinks and food. CP2 will only have a limited supply of food and water but the other CP's will be fully stocked. We will also be providing transport from Kewsick (the base and the finish) to the start at Swirls.