Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortimers Forest Hill Race

mortimer forest hill race ?

anyone done this , heard its hard . recovering from pf and this would give me something to aim for as its reasonably near to me .

Re: mortimer forest hill race

There are a few photo's from previous years on my website www.dk10k.co.uk
    Just go into photo gallery section. 40,000 photos actually.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/baldeag...7594062194914/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/baldeag...7594416649982/

It's not too bad compared to some profiles. There's some short steep sections and a strange uppy-downy big dipper bit, but alot of it is like a trail race. Is pf plantar fasciitis? If so, i sympathise.

A lovely route through some beautiful woodlands, a good stiff climb near the start to stretch out the field, then good trail running including the switchbacks mentioned in the previous posts (a set of, I think three) almost identical stiff little climbs each about 50m high, then a long slowly rising climb on forest trails with a flat section in the middle and steeper section near the top which gets you to the high point on High Vinnals - wonderful views on a good day. Then it's good fast running to the finish where there is a bacon butty van and wonderful hot showers. A cracker of a race for just before Christmas, I'm happy to travel for 2 hours to do it.

I did this last year, and loved it. One of my favourite races of the year. Very runnable, yes more like a trail race, but with some good stiff climbs put in for good measure. The switchbacks/big dipper are great!! See you there
    I think I'll walk this bit....

Quote Originally Posted by The Juicer View Post
    I did this last year, and loved it. One of my favourite races of the year. Very runnable, yes more like a trail race, but with some good stiff climbs put in for good measure. The switchbacks/big dipper are great!! See you there

Snap!

Mortimer Forest

Anyone else doing this one. My last race for 2008, with rain forecast Saturday it should soften it up nicely. It wouldn't be Mortimer Forest without the mud.

Re: Mortimer Forest

Yes, for the first time. Top tips (shoe related or otherwise)?

I'll be wearing my Mudclaw 270's. There is some running on tracks but it will almost certainly be muddy on a fair chunk of the course aswell as the downhills. My 2 tips would be , 1/ dodn't get trapped to far down the field before the first climb as theres little room for overtaking it comes up in the first mile. 2/ The finish is about 1/2 mile from the start, just before the road crossing. So comes up alot sooner than you would think if you've not done it before. Once you climb up from the forest floor on the path you went out on go as fast as your legs will let you, down to the finish. It's a great race and usually attracts around 350 runners. Are you a local runner if so what other races have done ? This might help me compare it with others.

Localish (from Birmingham, if anyone wants a lift). I did the Pen y Fan race (the March one) and Black Mountains more recently. Does this race tend to attract the same kind of runner? I've no idea how to pace it (to maintain my normal just-below-middle-of-field position) though, to be honest, I've not even looked at the map yet. I'm assuming it's all well marked?