Page 101 of 168 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1675

Thread: Tanky's trog

Re: Tanky's Trog 2009 is on!!

Hey ZHR,

I'm sure IDP won't be too bothered by the tone of your email, at about the time of your last post this morning he was setting off on a club race, Warts Revenge, and when I saw him at the end he was all of a quiver, shaking with cold, but ecstatic. It was his first win in a DPFR club race, in pretty poor conditions over very mixed terrain. Needless to say he's probably still ecstatic. BTW, has he posted anywhere tonight?

Back on thread, I agree, there should be a single repository for the race information for such a high profile, serious outing. It's alright going off the info in the calendar for a 5miler in east lancs somewhere but as you say, to assume that everyone who is in will know what they need to through prior knowledge or from word of mouth is a little flakey. A single page on either Woodhead MR, DPFR or Penistone sites would suffice. Just so everyone knows the minimum...

Oh, well done Ian, that was cold and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmer View Post
    It was his first win in a DPFR club race.

Aye, well done Ian, bet he was smiling
    Can't see owt upsetting Ian, he's such a great bloke that if you did a poo on his head, he'd ask you if you needed some toilet roll
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by grimmer View Post
    Hey ZHR,

I'm sure IDP won't be too bothered by the tone of your email, at about the time of your last post this morning he was setting off on a club race, Warts Revenge, and when I saw him at the end he was all of a quiver, shaking with cold, but ecstatic. It was his first win in a DPFR club race, in pretty poor conditions over very mixed terrain. Needless to say he's probably still ecstatic. BTW, has he posted anywhere tonight?

yes I have todays training...

Very happy with the win today, took a few scalps so they say

Cold and wet doesn't do it justice. I was fine whilst we were running but the minute I stopped........ thank god for the flask and dry clothes....

... and the pint of landlord afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Aye, well done Ian, bet he was smiling
    Can't see owt upsetting Ian, he's such a great bloke that if you did a poo on his head, he'd ask you if you needed some toilet roll
    hmm not sure about that

Gotta say, it's the first time I've run seriously in the Peak.

What a place it is, really magnificent.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 30-11-2009 at 12:35 AM.

I think ZHR is a bit out of order. I am a 'local' and I recce'd some of the route yesterday, but still treat it with respect and would like to know it even better. My point is thatI never expected to find detailed info on any of the long races I have done in the Lakes but recce'd them as far as I was able and studied the routes in detail. However, Tanky's seemed very much an 'underground' event when I first did it, I only heard about it by word of mouth and it wasn't mentioned very much even on the early days of the forums far as I can remember. Eee.. I remember t'days when an entry form fo' Tanky's were worth its weight in jelly babies. I reckon that just added to its allure. I would guess the route is fairly acessible for peolpe to be able to recce in sections, compared to the Lakes races. And it's great that Ian and Andy have kept it going.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I think ZHR is a bit out of order. I am a 'local' and I recce'd some of the route yesterday, but still treat it with respect and would like to know it even better. My point is thatI never expected to find detailed info on any of the long races I have done in the Lakes but recce'd them as far as I was able and studied the routes in detail. However, Tanky's seemed very much an 'underground' event when I first did it, I only heard about it by word of mouth and it wasn't mentioned very much even on the early days of the forums far as I can remember. Eee.. I remember t'days when an entry form fo' Tanky's were worth its weight in jelly babies. I reckon that just added to its allure. I would guess the route is fairly acessible for peolpe to be able to recce in sections, compared to the Lakes races. And it's great that Ian and Andy have kept it going.
    well ok grouse, I'm fairly new to this lark. I don't really know how races are organised or the difficulties involved for organisers.

I'll learn.

As far as the route goes: we pretty much followed the one posted above on this thread. It was tough in snow and poor visibility, but great fun.

All pretty straightforward as far as Black Hill. Then, the direct route down to Crowden Little Brook seemed to me worthwhile: the ground is rough, but not so rough as to negate the advantage.

We went round Torside and becasue we were gassing away missed the right fork up on to the ridge, and kept along the brook until the path ends abruptly, so we had a steep climb up the clough to get back onto the PW.

At the point after Torside castle (which we couldn't see) where the PW swings east, we headed s.e. on a bearing aimed at hitting Hern Stones (which we couldn't see). It's a bit of a leap of faith that, got to be careful with running on the bearing and make a note of timing or pacing. The terrain is v v rough though, we were probably going at about naismith pace, and I'm not altogether sure it saves much time over the PW, once you take into account messing with compass etc.

Also you've got to watch out for actually hitting the PW again and not running right over it thinking it's just another grough (in the snow anyway).

The shortcut from the PW down along the brook to Snake does seem worthwhile though - less rough than previous and cuts off a good section of road.

The crossing of Kinder: from the path round the edge of the plateau it was tempting to go off too early, mistaking one rocky outcrop for the actual one further on where you head south as the path swings east. And then we went the wrong side - to the right, or west - of the rocks on the downfall which is heavy with bracken and a right treat for tired legs. Best to make sure you're left of the outcrop there.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 30-11-2009 at 10:10 AM.

I hadn't reccied any of the route before I did the race in 2007, and just worked from the map and compass. Seemed fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    We went round Torside and becasue we were gassing away missed the right fork up on to the ridge, and kept along the brook until the path ends abruptly, so we had a steep climb up the clough to get back onto the PW.

At the point after Torside castle (which we couldn't see) where the PW swings east, we headed s.e. on a bearing aimed at hitting Hern Stones (which we couldn't see). It's a bit of a leap of faith that, got to be careful with running on the bearing and make a note of timing or pacing. The terrain is v v rough though, we were probably going at about naismith pace, and I'm not altogether sure it saves much time over the PW, once you take into account messing with compass etc.

Also you've got to watch out for actually hitting the PW again and not running right over it thinking it's just another grough (in the snow anyway).

The shortcut from the PW down along the brook to Snake does seem worthwhile though - less rough than previous and cuts off a good section of road.

The crossing of Kinder: from the path round the edge of the plateau it was tempting to go off too early, mistaking one rocky outcrop for the actual one further on where you head south as the path swings east. And then we went the wrong side - to the right, or west - of the rocks on the downfall which is heavy with bracken and a right treat for tired legs. Best to make sure you're left of the outcrop there.
    Sounds like you did fine except for your detour at Torside. As you'll know from the debate earlier in this thread, the real choice is which route to take over Bleaklow. I've finally made up my mind which way I'm going to go, and I think it's the quickest, but can't be certain!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I hadn't reccied any of the route before I did the race in 2007, and just worked from the map and compass. Seemed fine to me.

Sounds like you did fine except for your detour at Torside. As you'll know from the debate earlier in this thread, the real choice is which route to take over Bleaklow. I've finally made up my mind which way I'm going to go, and I think it's the quickest, but can't be certain!
    I'm told that some of the "quicker routes" are so wet that it might negate any of the advavtage

PM me your route then Andy
    I hope to go for one last run/walk later in week if car is fixed to make a final descision.

I haven't decided yet. Might follow Grouse.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...