Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hebden

Re: The Hebden Jan 3

As I understand it Garmins definitely tend to over read ascent and I've even heard an estimate of three times as much as it is in reality. Usually fine for distance though.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Graeme

I think the organiser measured it on memory map last year, so he was quite confident about the distance/ascent, he would probably happily provide the data again.

Juicer's garmin measured 21.91 miles and 3,914 of ascent. I can believe both of those. Certainly wasn't over 5,000ft of ascent....or at least if it was, my training's going better than I thought

Smashing day out, fantastic event, thanks to all the marshalls and thanks for all the marvellous food at the CPs and at the end.

Those dripping sandwiches are going to be on my BG menu

Well done to Juicer for knocking over 45 mins off last year's time. But I claim the award for "most improved" I reckon....over 2 hours up on last year
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

This is an event to treasure and nurture!
    It epitomises the whole ethos of the LDWA and their ilk. No profit motive. No sponsors. No b...sh*t man, just a superb event. Well done to all those involved in the organisation.

Really enjoyed this yesterday, took me to parts of the upper Calder Valley that I had no idea existed. Thanks to all involved.

Couldn't face dripping sandwiches I'm afraid, but the cake was fab, as was the banter and the (at times) collective route finding, and indeed, route losing.

Managed to shuffle around in 4:17.

This morning my feet feel like someone's been hitting them with blunt instruments. Don't remember his happpening, so I'm blaming the uneven and frozen ground.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post

Couldn't face dripping sandwiches I'm afraid, but the cake was fab

This morning my feet feel like someone's been hitting them with blunt instruments
    My feet are fine today; must have been the dripping sarnies I had!

Results are now displayed at www.alangreenwood.biz/index.html and on the Ldwa website under Calderdale Group. Glad you all enjoyed it so did we.
    Alan G

What a gradely day out.....couldn't fault the food, organisation or route just wish there had been more mud You just can't please some people...

FYI : my garmin came in at 21.62 miles which is spot on I'd say...although the7794 ft ascent and similar descent is way out....think I need to RTFM and work out whats wrong !?!...

Quote Originally Posted by Fidaleo View Post
    What a gradely day out.....couldn't fault the food, organisation or route just wish there had been more mud You just can't please some people...

FYI : my garmin came in at 21.62 miles which is spot on I'd say...although the7794 ft ascent and similar descent is way out....think I need to RTFM and work out whats wrong !?!...
    I would also like to echo the comments of the people on this post and thank the organisers for their efforts which helps to make this event so enjoyable.

And thank you Fidaleo for waiting for me every now and again. We were 40 minutes quicker than last year but looking at the results it seems many people were also quicker. I'm sure the lack of mud helped in that regards. Plus in our case not getting lost in the last four miles.

Re the elevations, I had plotted the course on Friday on "Running Ahead" which came up with 6824 ft of ascent which I thought was a bit unlikely. It's quite remarkable that there is so much difference in these measurements and I'd love to know which is nearest to the true figure.

The mileage is about right at 21.5 miles but we generally come out with about 4400ft of climbing at walking pace. Can only think that the massive amount of ascent some of you get is due to the height you bounce when running??? or falling down and getting up??? or going up every hill you can find??? or having a duff GPS???
    Alan G