34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get your mile time down first!

34 100.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Vs Endurance??

Master

Re: Speed Vs Endurance??

Quote Originally Posted by Glenners View Post
    I'm definitely not you're right there! So to improve and get back into racing shape would you advocate more speedwork/interval training or more long steady running?
    I don't like the term 'speedwork,' it's very misleading and ambiguous. Speed is just a relationship between distance and time, so all training is speed work. I think
    that athletes picked up that lingo from the Tuesday and Thursday night track sessions, and it's been ingrained in the athletics culture ever since.

As far as distance runners are concerned that term(speedwork) is generally meant to mean average speed not top speed.

Anyway the best way of improving cardiovascular condition for distance runners is fast sustained runs of between 15 and 30 minutes. The best way of increasing muscular strength is through proper weight training. If you balance these two with other less intense workouts, without overdoing it, you should reach your potential quickly.

Interval training is proper at certain times, and can be used to develop anaerobic capacity, but athletes over do it and then wonder why they are stagnating or even worse, getting slower.

I think the interval type training carried out by athletes today, is inferior in effect to the fast sustained runs mentioned above.

Unless you have an excellent base fitness the suggestions below may help.
    Steady = sensible and enjoyable
    Speedwork = injury

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

consistency is the key to good training which will show results.
    if you base your training over a 3 week cycle ensuring you follow a hard easy schedule with an extra day or two easy if tired/jaded/flat.
    involve a hrm,speed work can consist of a strong/sustained hilly run twice a week.
    one or two longish runs a week(over 90 mins) at steady pace(within yourself,knowing you could have run another two miles at the finish).
    mix in a bit of biking or swimming or walking.
    most of all keep enjoying and if you can get at least two races in your 3 week cycle all the better.
    (ensure your race takes the place of your sustained run)
    most important you do what works for you,and that you enjoy doing it.
    my own thoughts are a feeling of well being and self satisfaction and a feeling of accomplishment should be what you are aiming for?
    in other words dont cut yourself up by expecting to much of yourself,
    its a hobby.
    progress will come.

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Anyway the best way of improving cardiovascular condition for distance runners is fast sustained runs of between 15 and 30 minutes. The best way of increasing muscular strength is through proper weight training. If you balance these two with other less intense workouts, without overdoing it, you should reach your potential quickly.
    Thanks for this advice, you probably right about origins of "speedwork" in athletics and certainly this is how I was brought up running (Intervals Tue, Thu, Sat), will definitely give the fast sustained runs a go and certainly enjoy being back on the fells!
    @IGlendinning

For me, Endurance trumps Speed.

Over fell running distances I believe that by building up your endurance base you will ultimately run the course faster.

In very simplistic terms: Can you run 1 mile in 6 minutes – Yes, Can you run 10 miles in 60 minutes – No.

Therefore to be able to run 10 miles in 60 minutes should you be looking to improve your mile time to 5:45 or improve your endurance base to be able to maintain your 6 min pace for longer?
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

All about endurance for me, and thats not because I'm really slow , but its the type of running I love the most.

Running over short distances at full pelt just isn't enjoyable, and if I ain't enjoying it, I won't do it.

Deffo slow and steady for me.

depends what you are training for but reading whats been posted so far I'd agree with getting your general fittness up by building the miles then when you have a strong base build in more speed hill sessions.

Don't for get the weight part as well. less weight means less effort required to drag it over a course so speed will increase

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

Don't for get the weight part as well. less weight means less effort required to drag it over a course so speed will increase
    think this is key

I find it a bit ruefully amusing that people agonise over a 100g here and there re. kit when they're about two stone overweight ...

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I find it a bit ruefully amusing that people agonise over a 100g here and there re. kit when they're about two stone overweight ...
    I agree with the importance of shifting some timber, carrying my frame up hills is not easy, my main problem with this is that I'm genuinely not fat but have played alot of football, rugby, squash and done a serious amount of weight training in the past 8 yrs so I'm a big guy, I eat healthy and don't really overdo the drinking too often so I can't do some of the simple things to lose weight quickly (i.e cut back on cake and booze!) I guess it will just take time.

Appreciate everyones advice, definitely food for thought, Golf Ball tonight, see you there!
    @IGlendinning

Quote Originally Posted by Glenners View Post
    I agree with the importance of shifting some timber, carrying my frame up hills is not easy, my main problem with this is that I'm genuinely not fat but have played alot of football, rugby, squash and done a serious amount of weight training in the past 8 yrs so I'm a big guy, I eat healthy and don't really overdo the drinking too often so I can't do some of the simple things to lose weight quickly (i.e cut back on cake and booze!) I guess it will just take time.

Appreciate everyones advice, definitely food for thought, Golf Ball tonight, see you there!
    Glenners hope you didn't think that was a dig - I have after all never met you so I wouldn't know!

As for me, I'm carrying 10lbs too much, thanks largely I suspect to beer.