Thread: how much do you walk?

how much do you walk?

Hi all,
    I've been fell-running for a year now (running for much longer). Have done lots of AMs and BMs in the Peak District and hoping to do Hope Moors and Tors for my first L. I recce'd part of it at the weekend and found it quite depressing - I completely lost all my motivation going up Cave Dale - very nearly decided I'd had it with fells and I was going to turn round, go home, and put the kettle on. I didn't - but I walked rather than ran for quite a bit of the Dale. At about 10 miles I did the bottom bit of Win Hill - found it impossible to run. I find I can do a BM route without walking - if I know it well. But I get disheartened and start walking if I don't know it so well. Are others like me? Are Cave Dale and Win Hill tough? Or am I just a wuss who's not cut out for this? I love the downs, and I love a ridge, but just wish I could run up a hill I don't know.

Re: how much do you walk?

Win Hill certainly is tough from most sides with the possible exception of the route the Edale skyline follows on the ridge from the NW side. It is possible to run up Cave Dale when fresh and/or very fit but is still arduous. I haven't done this event so I'm not sure of the lines taken but would geuss in a race of this length most will walk.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I'd not be running the top half of Cave Dale either, and Win Hill is a deceptively tough climb. I tend to finish in the top third/half of fell races (although I think that's a fair bit to do with manic descending, and sounds like you enjoy that too) and there are plenty of folks walking that kind of hill...

Did you enjoy the rest of the route - If so, then that's all that matters in my view.

I haven't run as long as you & wondered this. I'm slow or have to walk at times uphill but am quite fast on the decent. I'm hoping I'll improve in time plus when i've shed the last bit of weight. i always try to walk at a good pace, so it's not all bad

Too much!

I ran up Lose Hill in the Sheffield to Poynton relay a few years ago but I did have a big hairy young dog to haul me up as a startled Mr Warhurst might testify to as I was pulled past him!

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    I did have a big hairy young dog to haul me up !
    Well I have a dog too - but am clearly doing something wrong - I end up pulling him. Or stopping to wait for him. A walker once jokingly asked me how old he was, expecting him to be geriatric. He's TWO. He's fit, well-walked, right weight. Just doesn't like hills. I've stopped taking him on anything over about 10 miles cos he's so slow.