Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: English Champs?

Re: English Champs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravymuncher View Post
    The World Series is named after it's original sponsor; the New York World newspaper I believe.
    Never let the facts ruin a crap joke

Quote Originally Posted by Gravymuncher View Post
    The World Series is named after it's original sponsor; the New York World newspaper I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikepedia
    The belief that the World Series of baseball is also named after the newspaper, however, is unfounded.
    Typical American exaggeratism.
    American newspapers rarely print news from outside America.
    Last edited by XRunner; 10-05-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Dom posted a link before I did!
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I don't normally give the yanks the benefit of the doubt!

I'd disagree, a select few UK runners would be up there no doubt, but I think that's quite an arrogant statement. Also if the WC'c changed to our style of racing then runners would prepare for such a race.

IN NZ the rough UK style races were always won by an expat, but if that was all there was I think the NZ atheletes would have adapted. I certainly saw enough incredible runners (up hill mainly) over there, but they (well most) just couldn't handly technical descents. If that was all there was I'm sure they'd adapt no problem. They just weren't use to it.

When my missus first moved over from Australia she was slow on descents, but within a few months had worked it out and is now a very good descender. In fact that's the strongest part of her racing, and she's no bad runner who has been finishing well in the British Championship races so far and should run for Wales once qualified.

From the mouth of a friend who has trained with them the ethiopians are apparently unbelieveable on rough terrain because they run on it at pace every day. The idea that only the brits can be good downhill or on rough terrain is a total fallacy. Like Iain says, its just down to practice and experience.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    I shouldn’t imagine that any of the blazers would be too miffed if they found out that little-old-you was doing the Welsh champs as well as the English.
    Well that's a relief coming from such a respected authority as yourself.

As for the rest of your initial post you must have been pleased to get a reaction after trotting it out for a second time.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Chris

I've lost the will to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    I totally disagree. The only championship is the British. The Welsh, Scottish etc are a bit like veterans prizes – they’re just there to maintain interest among the also rans. I can’t see the point in having an English Championship – it’s just a repeat of the British.
    YT...
    Having read some but not all of this thread..... do you have another point about the nationals v the brits... perhaps you wish to see more clarity in fewer events, more intense, a true competition? then the rest of us stay at home, do our own stuff... have our own silly little races? rest the fells from constant trampling.. I suspect, and think there is more to this than you have disclosed so far..... having mused, I'm unclear still.... as ever.
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Thug posted
    Regardless of the anti-US bitching about baseball (amusing and true though it may be), if the WMRA champs were to be run using our standards (rather than in parks, vinyards and ski slopes) then I think you’ll find that the World would just be a repeat of the English/British too.

In your dreams mate! Have you ever seen some of the Italians descend?

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    YT... I'm unclear still.... as ever.
    You need to lay off the sauce Mister Aitch, then you’d cotton on quicker!

The original post of this thread concerned the English Champs exclusivity ruling which is not only exclusive to the English Champs but also insists that “if you’re going to win one of the other national championships, then we’re not going to allow you to win ours”.

It’s rules like this that give blazers the bad names that they undoubtedly deserve! But why have such a daft rule anyway? It’s hardly likely to happen, and, even if it did, it wouldn’t be the end of the world would it?

With regard to the worlds stuff that’s been posted here, I’m sure that other countries on our planet have runners who would be excellent on the fell. It’s just a shame that their countries’ organisations, and Uncle Danny in particular, don’t give them more opportunities to shine.
    Last edited by Yorkshire Thug; 11-05-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: I always respond to complaints!