Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anti depressant tablets

anti depressant tablets

does anyone know anything of.......citalopram? just been given these and i am very reluctant to take anything. i ve 3 weeks, minus this one before i go back to see the doctor.
    Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

Re: anti depressant tablets

Did your doctor not go through it with you? I understand we have a lot of "experience" on the forum, but surely the GP is the best placed

yes. but i don't like taking any kind of drugs, save for my asthma ones. not even for a head ache or tooth ache. i ve only heard bad things about drugs like these and i don't want to get hooked on them or experience menacing side effects.

i don't feel depressed, just because i am permanently angry, want to kick someones face in (hers) and spend all evening in tears doesn't mean i am.

he gave me them because i cannot sleep and i am certainly not taking those sleeping pills, he knows there is a underlining problem and thats why i have them. tomorrow is pay day and i will get them. i just wondered what they will do to me and how long i will be on them.

Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

They will do what they say they will. They are one type of anti depressant tablet. Depending how long you are on them and what dossage there can be side effects of coming off them - mainly buzzes in your head now and then, gradually decreasing over a period of weeks since stopping.
    Speak to your doctor.

Its horses for courses I'm afraid JTB - my dad has recently been switched to Citalopram after about six years of taking something else and he didn't think much to it. He went back to his doctor who just doubled the dose, and he feels better again now. I get the impression therefore that its one of the 'weaker' anti-depressants but I am by no means an expert.

My old man will be on his tablets permanently. He's come to accept this, but obviously everybody's situation is different. I don't think there is any chance of getting 'hooked' though, he's certainly not dependent on them in terms of craving them or anything, he just realises that he needs assistance to manage his own personal imbalance. He could give them up today and not miss them, just means he'd be back to his mood swings.

Ady is right though, speak to your doctor.
    Last edited by simgreen78; 19-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

I take St John's Wort for low mood and it's pretty good, just takes off the edge. I'd check out herbals before pills from the doc but some can have side effects and some have limitations of use. Ginkgo is reknown for promoting wellbeing and Valerian/Valerian-Hops is good for anxiety.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I prefer a few pints of Landlords.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by john the baptist View Post
    does anyone know anything of.......citalopram? just been given these and i am very reluctant to take anything. i ve 3 weeks, minus this one before i go back to see the doctor.
    John what would you like to know mate

hi jtb my wife has been taking citalopram for about three years now as she has suffered with anxiety and anger due to depression she wasnt sleeping and had chest pains and panic attacks .citalopram helps all these issues as it suppresses certain nerves in your body which make you angry and anxious,they are a mild anti depressant and say they are better than others because they are non addictive i asked my wife if she would reccomend them (as such) and she said yes definiatly she came off them once as she felt so much better for 4 months but the anxiety and anger returned so she continued with them the dr said she may always need them due to a chemical imbalance she has only ever needed to take 20mg which is a low dose and they have really really helped so i would try them and see how you get on theres no harm in trying but be aware that they take about 6 weeks to get into your system and work. my wife has never had any side effects at all other than if she runs out of tabs after a few days of not being on them she feels a bit dizzy and headachey so make sure you get your prescriptions on time.good luck mate
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by john the baptist View Post

i don't feel depressed, just because i am permanently angry, want to kick someones face in (hers) and spend all evening in tears doesn't mean i am.

My wife has just seen this statement and said this is exactly how she felt 3 years ago and would not accept that it was depression, but after councelling sessions and visits to her gp she now understands that you feel like this because of depression. She said that even now she struggles to accept she suffers with depression as she has a good life but does not always understand why she feels that way. This is why the doctor has said its due to a chemical imbalance although obviously this is not the case for everyone. If you are going through a bad time this may be the reason for you. Accepting you have depression will always be hard and I must admit that it is also hard to understand for myself and to understand how and why she feels like she does.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.