Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Collie needing home

Border Collie needing home

There is a 5yo Neutered male BC here in NW Glos looking for a home due to a change in the owner's circumstances. It is housetrained, neutered and vaccinated. He's a short-coated type with erect ears.

He has had no more than 15 mins exercise a day for a long period, living in a small house and garden, and consequently has become very frustrated and begun herding visitors to the house. He has bitten once- a hard collie nip to an adult which caused no serious injury. This is entirely to be expected for a BC in these circs. But, because of this the BC rescues cannot take him- they already have huge waiting lists of dogs which haven't nipped someone (yet). This is purely a litigious issue, not a reflection on this dog's temperament or behavioural science in general. In fact, it says alot for this dog that he has lasted 2 years in this scenario without nipping anyone until now. Unfortunately he is now on death row, and it would be an awful shame for him to pay with his life for behaving exactly as a BC should in this environment. I would hate for this one fact about him to put anyone off- there is no reason why this dog needs to be put in a situation where he has to bite someone again. He is superb with other dogs, extremely trainable (like most collies) and in perfect physical health. There are no signs of 'aggression' in any other situations.

If anyone is genuinely interested please get in touch with the current owners- name Higgins, Tel 01594 824735. (They have given full permission for their no to appear here). I am away at a race in Italy now until 25th Aug, but after that i'll be able to help with full behavioural assessment and transport. I am unable to foster except very short term at the moment as i am about to move to a broom cupboard

Re: Border Collie needing home

I've asked on a border collie rescue group that I go on on FB but didn't leave any details other than about the dog. It's worth a shot at least

Master and MR

Border collie trust at abbots bromley will take him I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Border collie trust at abbots bromley will take him I'm sure
    Afraid not for reasons given above- already tried.

May i just say that Antisocial is a jolly good egg and all round good fellow... he has gone way beyond the call of duty to help out with this dog. It looks like he might, might have at least a foster home with potential permanence if it works out (the dog that is not Antisocial).

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    May i just say that Antisocial is a jolly good egg and all round good fellow... he has gone way beyond the call of duty to help out with this dog. It looks like he might, might have at least a foster home with potential permanence if it works out (the dog that is not Antisocial).
    Shh. You're ruining AS's forum demeanor. How can we take his stroppy wind-ups seriously now.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

No problem and can I say also how delighted I am that you have chosen to join Keighley ladies team when you move up here, they are a great bunch and will really welcome you. You will enjoy racing in a vest with a proper variety of stripes for a change.

And you are right no one would have me permanently
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    No problem and can I say also how delighted I am that you have chosen to join Keighley ladies team when you move up here, they are a great bunch and will really welcome you. You will enjoy racing in a vest with a proper variety of stripes for a change.

And you are right no one would have me permanently
    Where's Keighley? Never heard of it.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Where's Keighley? Never heard of it.
    Yes I would imagine the vests of the ladies team are too far in front for you to notice them usually. Is it a medium vest you are after?

Huh after all I did for you in trying to set up a joint re-homing and dating service.
    Last edited by Antisocial; 09-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Yes I would imagine the vests of the ladies team are too far in front for you to notice them usually. Is it a medium vest you are after?

Huh after all I did for you in trying to set up a joint re-homing and dating service.
    Steady on there... it's only a matter of time before CL comes along to accuse me of lack of integrity as it is!