Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Blackstone Edge

Many thanks to Kev and his helpers for last nights race. This really is the true spirit of fellrunning, cracking tough little course followed by loads of quirky extras like the pot noodle pots filled with orange juice and buckets with sponges to wash down mucky legs. Then it's the legendary prize giving back at the farm at which I was proud to win the bog roll for 1st vet, can't quite get it to fit on the mantelpiece with my other race momentos. Surprisingly only 70 turned up on a lovely evening, this race deserves more.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

You won a bog roll? Wish I hung about a bit longer now.
    Great fun though. Especially the bus interupting just as we were about to start!

A great race with 135 runners on a sunny evening, I had great fun helping Kev and his merry band organise this Classic AS race. Danny Hope won for the umpteenth time.

A link to some photos i took below along with a copy of my favourite from the evening.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=58cee4627c

blackstone edge.jpg

Dan

Master
    Loved it. Tough and quirky, great climb, proper fell decent and fast sprint to the line. Also the toilet stands out as one of the top 10 least appealing I have ever seen (used). List available of the other 9 but most are abroad!!

In its original format The Generation Game hosted by king of show business Bruce Forsyth was essential viewing back in the 70’s. The highlight being the ‘conveyor belt’ where prizes pass by and the contestant is quizzed on how many items can be remembered.....the trademark of the show is that a cuddly toy is always among the prizes.

Like the late Sir Bruce, Blackstone Edge race organiser Kev Shand deserves praise for his longevity. It really is commendable for any organiser to still be putting on a race after 36 years....and I bet Mr Forsyth would’ve loved a Kev Shand prize giving. It’s the stuff of fellrunning folklore....it’s essential viewing, it’s like the Generation Game being played out in a barn on the outskirts of Rochdale....who ever said there’s no glamour in fellrunning?

Right here goes, let me see how many I can remember: pan and brush set, a dozen eggs, tin opener, wine, Guinness, biscuits, big bag of hula hoops, multi-socket adaptor, a saw, popcorn, orange cordial, fire lighter, a frisbee, bubble bath, gents shower set, a flask, paper plates, kitchen colander and more besides. The team prizes were packs of Wagon wheels for the men and bunches of grapes for the ladies.

I think I’ve done pretty well there, but there was one glaring absence..where was the bog roll?

The bog roll is a Kev Shand prize giving equivalent of the Generation Games cuddly toy....like the toy, everyone remembers the bog roll. I managed to win a prize and looked high and low for the iconic roll....”Kev, where’s the bog roll”.... I asked with a sense of apprehension in my voice....”oh no, I’ve forgotten it”....I felt deflated....imagine if by some miracle England win the World Cup, now try and comprehend the sense of pride that Harry Kane would feel whilst holding the cup aloft...well my World Cup moment would’ve been holding the bog roll aloft in the cow barn...shattered dreams down the pan.....oh well, ‘roll on’ next time.

Many thanks to Kev, you are a fellrunning stalwart....as always, “it was nice to see you, to see you nice”.

Congratulations to Andrew and Annie from Tod Harriers on their wins....“Didn’t they do well?”.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    In its original format The Generation Game hosted by king of show business Bruce Forsyth was essential viewing back in the 70’s. The highlight being the ‘conveyor belt’ where prizes pass by and the contestant is quizzed on how many items can be remembered.....the trademark of the show is that a cuddly toy is always among the prizes.

Like the late Sir Bruce, Blackstone Edge race organiser Kev Shand deserves praise for his longevity. It really is commendable for any organiser to still be putting on a race after 36 years....and I bet Mr Forsyth would’ve loved a Kev Shand prize giving. It’s the stuff of fellrunning folklore....it’s essential viewing, it’s like the Generation Game being played out in a barn on the outskirts of Rochdale....who ever said there’s no glamour in fellrunning?

Right here goes, let me see how many I can remember: pan and brush set, a dozen eggs, tin opener, wine, Guinness, biscuits, big bag of hula hoops, multi-socket adaptor, a saw, popcorn, orange cordial, fire lighter, a frisbee, bubble bath, gents shower set, a flask, paper plates, kitchen colander and more besides. The team prizes were packs of Wagon wheels for the men and bunches of grapes for the ladies.

I think I’ve done pretty well there, but there was one glaring absence..where was the bog roll?

The bog roll is a Kev Shand prize giving equivalent of the Generation Games cuddly toy....like the toy, everyone remembers the bog roll. I managed to win a prize and looked high and low for the iconic roll....”Kev, where’s the bog roll”.... I asked with a sense of apprehension in my voice....”oh no, I’ve forgotten it”....I felt deflated....imagine if by some miracle England win the World Cup, now try and comprehend the sense of pride that Harry Kane would feel whilst holding the cup aloft...well my World Cup moment would’ve been holding the bog roll aloft in the cow barn...shattered dreams down the pan.....oh well, ‘roll on’ next time.

Many thanks to Kev, you are a fellrunning stalwart....as always, “it was nice to see you, to see you nice”.

Congratulations to Andrew and Annie from Tod Harriers on their wins....“Didn’t they do well?”.
    Ha ha! These write ups are really good Darren. A bunch of grapes for the ladies team! You should put these together in a blog.

212 entrants! There goes any hope of a good result, every man and his dog is going. The start doesn't look particularly flat either, so there goes my gameplan of running the legs off people early doors and hanging onto as many places as possible. It all hinges on the descent; if it's not rougher than old arse i'm in for a massacre. Weather is rumoured to be favourable.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    212 entrants! There goes any hope of a good result, every man and his dog is going. The start doesn't look particularly flat either, so there goes my gameplan of running the legs off people early doors and hanging onto as many places as possible. It all hinges on the descent; if it's not rougher than old arse i'm in for a massacre. Weather is rumoured to be favourable.
    Some top quality runners in there too. There is a bit of flat/gentle incline before you hit the climb proper but at 1200ft for a 3.5 mile race you're unlikely to get much flat.

Yeah it was a strong field, the leaders were off quickly. As it happens the start was flat enough for me to position myself at the front of the bunch, this meant i got off quite well and had a good run up to the first descent. Very rough second descent, you couldn't get into a flying rhythm, you were constantly making course corrections and speed adjustments. On my recce i spotted a sheep trod down the LHS through the reeds on the final descent; this proved faster than the twisty little path. Very tough race all in all, and a big thanks to Kevin and the crew.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent