Thread: Taped Ankles?

Taped Ankles?

Hi All

Picked up a little niggle in my ankle today, be ok in a few days and got me wondering........

Does anyone here tape up their ankles to give them more support either for long runs/races on tough ground etc? Or would they naturally just toughen up over time? could it be detrimental to your ankles perhaps?

Thanks
    Andy

Re: Taped Ankles?

Most of the advice i got when i started a thread on my ongoing ankle problems was that resting and strengthening was the way forward rather than taping or bracing. The downside to that is that the resting period has been going on for around 3 months now in one form or another, at the moment i'm running but i can't descend how i used to do. I'm using a wobble pad to try and improve my proprioception.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Hi Andy,

Taping would be a very short term solution and though it is effectively used by footballers and so on to "get through" a game, you should bear in mind that the tighter the ankle, the less give it will allow and so you are in fact, more prone to sprains etc. As already mentioned, much better trying to strengthen your ankles. However I made the mistake after breaking my ankle of strengthening but not stretching, which has left me with all sorts of biomechanical issues, so I would really stress the importance of keeping your ankle strong, but highly mobile.
    @IGlendinning

I taped my ankles for mountain marathons last year after a nasty case of shin splints and a mystery lump following the Fellsman. BUT.... I did it as a temporary get-by measure to allow me to keep going with the advice and assistance of my very understanding and brilliant chiropractor.

I also reduced my training, had treatments, and was given exercises to do. I made a full recovery from the injuries.

The general advice is not to tape unnecessarily as this will hinder the natural strengthening and flexibility of the ankles as others have said.

A most excellent way of improving ankle strength and flexibility, and also building up your core strength is to use a wobble board.

Here's to trouble free ankles.
    Happy running
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Hi Stef

Thanks, I've just got a wobble board, I was sort of thinking how hard can it be? the answer is very, I'm really rubbish! just need to keep at it.

Cheers
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
    Hi Stef

Thanks, I've just got a wobble board, I was sort of thinking how hard can it be? the answer is very, I'm really rubbish! just need to keep at it.

Cheers
    Andy.
    When you can work that board on one leg without holding on to anything, you'll never look back....keep trying, a little every day, several times a day if you can, but don't do too much at once.

It'll make a difference and you'll be chuffed when it does :thumbup:
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

I've used a taping method for years that is not supportive but does prevent further damage through turning the ankle.
    Its a proprioceptive (position sense) aid - i.e. it helps you feel the turn coming early and allows you to react before the ankle has gone too far or reached a weak point.

I'll try to describe:
    start with the tape on the ball of your foot, or possibly slightly off the back of the ball.
    run it diagonally back across the sole of your foot to come up on the outside of your foot just infront of the ankle bone.
    run it across the ankle bone and carry on diagonally across the achilles / lower calf.
    keep it coming up and round to end on the inside of the calf about 1/3 of the way up.
    In effect you are running a spiral from ball of foot over outside of anle bone and up to the inside of the calf.
    You need to practise getting the position of the ankle right so that the ankle can move free. ( I tend to turn my ankle out a little.)

I know this works through proprioception and not physical support because when I put the tape on and run / race I can often end up with the tape torn, - so no support available, but I have never ever turned an ankle whilst wearing it.
    I actually think I could get away with just wrapping the tape across the back of my calf.

I think this approach works as it protects from further damage but allows the ankle to do all its usual work and so to build and recover propoerly
    Last edited by andy k; 02-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.