Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Fell Running Rules

Re: Unwritten Fell Running Rul

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Its not odd, just a different venue which allows some to express how they really feel rather than keep it under a cloak of british reserve. I suspect that if 20 queuing runners watched someone get ahead of them by jumping a fence, none of them would say anything but nearly all would be thinking 'prat' or 'cheat' or whatever. Put those same 20 on the forum and I bet nearly all of them would, from the safety of their keyboard, give vent to those thoughts. And yes, most of them would be lovely people!
    Maybe, maybe not who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the big posters here don't get out much due to injury etc. No wonder they are a bit tetchy.
    Last edited by Henry Porter; 12-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Bleeding heart, pinko, liberal. (no safety pins)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    The forum is odd. It seems quite a harsh place and I find it hard to reconcile the attitude here with the lovely people I meet at races and on the fells.
    Agree, can be pretty harsh, like Wheeze mentions, from the safety of their keyboards they can be very unforgiving. Different story when you meet folk face to face. Think the trick is not to take some folk too seriously on here, not worth worrying about really.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Agree, can be pretty harsh, like Wheeze mentions, from the safety of their keyboards they can be very unforgiving. Different story when you meet folk face to face. Think the trick is not to take some folk too seriously on here, not worth worrying about really.
    Top post sir!

Banned

I do try to understand where some of you are comming from.

BUT GET REAL

There are only ELEVEN rules to fell running and the guy managed KNOWINGLY break two of them.

RULE SIX
    All competitors must obey the FRA Rules for Competition and any additional rules drawn up by the raceorganisers for each fell race.
    RULE SEVEN
    No runner may take part in any fell race without having entered the race in accordance with the rules and
    procedures.

Yes, we may appear a little harsh, and its a credit to the Gent he confessed but we are polite when out but I have done kit checks and inspections and it make me mad when folks try to break the rules for what ever reason.
    RANT OVER.

Have a nice day you all.

Sir,

May I respectfully point out that if you are referring to the previously mentioned 'Lakeland 50' race, then could I respecfully point out that the rules below are irrelevant, as the race is not to the best of my knowledge organised under FRA rules, or permitted / insured by FRA.

Yours respectfully,

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I do try to understand where some of you are comming from.

BUT GET REAL

There are only ELEVEN rules to fell running and the guy managed KNOWINGLY break two of them.

RULE SIX
    All competitors must obey the FRA Rules for Competition and any additional rules drawn up by the raceorganisers for each fell race.
    RULE SEVEN
    No runner may take part in any fell race without having entered the race in accordance with the rules and
    procedures.

Yes, we may appear a little harsh, and its a credit to the Gent he confessed but we are polite when out but I have done kit checks and inspections and it make me mad when folks try to break the rules for what ever reason.
    RANT OVER.

Have a nice day you all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Sir,

May I respectfully point out that if you are referring to the previously mentioned 'Lakeland 50' race, then could I respecfully point out that the rules below are irrelevant, as the race is not to the best of my knowledge organised under FRA rules, or permitted / insured by FRA.

Yours respectfully,

Dom.
    Oh, I guess it makes it OK not to follow the rules then Dom.

Surley the Organiser sets the kit list for a reason and if we choose to run his race should we not comply?

Banned

Its getting like a nanny state on here.
    Breaking the rules is OK, but NO ONE must criticise because thats a crime.

Maybe more of you lot should volunteer to check kit at your local races and help make our sport a bit safer.

Not taking sides here and I agree 100% with Stagger on the kit issue, and indeed following all the organiser's & FRA rules, but having read back through this thread the Lakeland 50 issue that Dom refers to isn't about kit but about the crossing of a gate next to a stile, which is poor form in a fell race, but is it also the case in an ultra/challenge walk with it's own rules?

I really don't care any more about who wants to carry what kit, as far as I'm concerned, I carry what I need to keep me safe and will happily submit to kit checks at any point before or after a race. If someone is so stupid to not carry kit and then needs help, I also have no objection to them using some of my kit to get them off the hill provided it doesn't put me in danger. If it does put me in danger, then sorry but tough luck I'm keeping it. Golden rule of rescue is not to create more casualties.

I know I won't be disqualified from a race unless it's by accident, if someone else wants to risk that, then it's up to them. Rules have to be in place for various reasons and I'm happy to abide by them (whether I agree with them or not), and it's not my responsibility to enforce them.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Not taking sides here and I agree 100% with Stagger on the kit issue, and indeed following all the organiser's & FRA rules, but having read back through this thread the Lakeland 50 issue that Dom refers to isn't about kit but about the crossing of a gate next to a stile, which is poor form in a fell race, but is it also the case in an ultra/challenge walk with it's own rules?
    To be honest, I think climbing a gate when there's a stile next to it is poor form fullstop. Regardless of whether it's a race or whether you're just out for a walk.