Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Poles

Re: light weight poles

I find stowing my poles much easier now that I have removed the baskets. I was finding them a real pain, catching in undergrowth and among stones. Of course, there may be boggy conditions when I will regret them, but it's worth it for the lovely streamlined feel, and fewer grammes too.

It seems to me that the ultra-lightweight fold up poles would be much quicker and easier to assemble during a race than the conventional telescopic ones. The latter have to be loosened and extended very carefully, as if you loosen too much or pull a section out too far the joint can stop working. Also, if you don't tighten quite enough your pole can telescope suddenly, always at the worst possible moment. In fact, in my experience, even if I tighten as much as possible, involuntarily telescoping can happen from time to time, even with top quality poles

IMO, the great defect of both Mountain King and Raidlight folding poles is that the padded hand grip is too short. As the wrist strap is not adjustable, this means that when using the strap properly one's hand may well be holding the shaft rather than the grip. Camp Xenons have both a longer 20cm grip AND an adjustable strap. Unfortunately no-one in the UK seems to stock them.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: light weight poles

im doing a recce of legs 3 & 4 of BG this weekend so i'm going to road test some poles to see how they go.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    IMO, the great defect of both Mountain King and Raidlight folding poles is that the padded hand grip is too short. As the wrist strap is not adjustable, this means that when using the strap properly one's hand may well be holding the shaft rather than the grip.
    Agreed, I bought my first pair of poles yesterday, the new Mountain King Trail Blaze Skyrunner (carbon) which Likeys got in recently. They're my first poles, I got the hang of them after about 30 minutes but my hands were definitely towards the bottom of the short grip. It's fine for me but would be better to have the grip a bit longer, particularly with the straps not being adjustable (yes I had the straps oriented correctly).

They are super light though, simple fast to click together, and collapse small enough to put in hand luggage or a Salomon S-LAB Skin pack. Perfect.