Thread: Fell-running Cardiologist

Fell-running Cardiologist

Could you recommend a fell-running Cardiologist, not too far from Crewe?

After a heart-attack in March and 3 stents I have just been put onto a beta-blocker (Cardicor, 1.25mg) and am dismayed by the effect on exercise. It's like driving a car with a very stretchy elastic accelerator cable. Only with enormous willpower and persistance can I get my heart rate above 85bpm. I cannot run - beyond jogging about 150m, anaerobically.

Although my GP is good, I don't think he understands runners' attitudes, nor allows for patients somewhat fitter than the 'average' person with a 'normal' resting HR of 80(!).

So if you know of a fellrunning Cardiologist that I can consult, who will empathise with a fellow runner, then I would be very grateful.

Re: Fell-running Cardiologist

Good luck with the continued recovery, I think you'll need to get your GP to either refer you back to the consultant or explain if there is no other choice than beta blockers, for what is/has been a mechanical problem. A fair few of us have some electrical faults - see the 226HRM thread - which has its own set of problems!
    A circular route mostly downhill

sent you a pm
    Good luck

Hi - I'm a fell running cardiologist / cardiologising fellrunner. You're a long way from my north east Manchester manor I'm afraid. I would hope you would find any local cardiologist could help you out with this though without their needing to be a runner to understand your issues (if perhaps not your motivation!). This sort of stuff is a bit outside the GP's remit to be fair and it's right to be pursuing a cardiology opinion - perhaps wherever you had your angioplasty? PM me if I cam be of help with any questions. Hope you get sorted soon

Cheers, Paul