Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Park Runs Destructive ?

Are Park Runs Destructive ?

I'm interested in the forums opinion.

In Greater Manchester we have 5 park runs to choose from every Saturday morning.

For those who do not know - These are 5K races and there is no entry fee.

My feeling as a club man is.....Just what is the point of us (the clubs) organising events and paying levies and fees for our athletes anymore - as we can't possibly compete with park run.

If you think i'm misinterpretting things - check out the size of the field at Heaton Park in the morning and then compare it to the size of the field at the Salford 5K in the afternoon.

Old news you might say - but in my opinion it isn't fair and is becomming detremental
    Give us 60p's worth of chips then

Re: Are Park Runs Destructive

Thats presuming you only want to run 5K's which most of us dont

Love Park runs......im at Heaton this sat.......only a bit of fun though,I think there great mass-participation event and anything that gets people running has got to be good.I'd like to think once people get the bug they'd have a go at longer distance races or join us on the fells.

I am on your side Natty.

As a race organiser, I am not YET directly affected by Park Run - in fact Park Run would say they will help me by stimulating interest in athletics and road races in particular.

However, our 2 road races take 6 months each at least to organise, incur road closure / traffic management costs running in to several thousands each, use around 50 marshalls, first aid cover, permit etc etc etc.

For the more regular club race that aims to race a few hundred quid for the club, that generally will go in to subsidising youth athletics, it must be difficult.

I am against park runs in general, they are getting out of control, and will starve funding to grass roots athletics for what? To get a few joggers out and interested.

Scrap them for me.

Park run is what it is...a run round a park; not a road race or a trail race or whatever. I know people who go to them and it's just a fitness jogging thing, i can't see it enveloping the world of races completely. People have probably been encouraged to organise such events in order to promote healthy living among the nation which if fine by me and i can't see it posing a serious threat to racing. What are we going to do today dear, Harewood trail or run around Hyde Park again?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Natty View Post
    I'm interested in the forums opinion.

In Greater Manchester we have 5 park runs to choose from every Saturday morning.

For those who do not know - These are 5K races and there is no entry fee.

My feeling as a club man is.....Just what is the point of us (the clubs) organising events and paying levies and fees for our athletes anymore - as we can't possibly compete with park run.

If you think i'm misinterpretting things - check out the size of the field at Heaton Park in the morning and then compare it to the size of the field at the Salford 5K in the afternoon.

Old news you might say - but in my opinion it isn't fair and is becomming detremental
    I think they are great

a) allow people an informal route into racing, many think races are just for the very good runners.
    b) help fairly much non-runners set goals in training
    c) provide nice free time trials for others

It's not the park runs that are the problem - it's those damn fell races

How can the Great North Run (at £4:40 per km) compete with Wasdale (at £0.25 per km)?

And it doesn't stop there :angry:

Some fell races give all the money they raise to a charity - the cheek!

And another thing :sneaky:

It's high time that they added a levy to trainers - all those people looking good wearing trainers or who run in them but never enter a race in their lives. It makes me sick.

If it gets more people into running, it will mean more people will want to do more races and pay fees to join running clubs. I don't see it as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I am on your side Natty.

As a race organiser, I am not YET directly affected by Park Run - in fact Park Run would say they will help me by stimulating interest in athletics and road races in particular.

However, our 2 road races take 6 months each at least to organise, incur road closure / traffic management costs running in to several thousands each, use around 50 marshalls, first aid cover, permit etc etc etc.

For the more regular club race that aims to race a few hundred quid for the club, that generally will go in to subsidising youth athletics, it must be difficult.

I am against park runs in general, they are getting out of control, and will starve funding to grass roots athletics for what? To get a few joggers out and interested.

Scrap them for me.

You make some interesting points there Witton.

I've been a regular at Heaton Park since the beginning and loved the whole park run concept of trying to increase the numbers in running generally.

Up until recently I really hadn't given much thought to the impact of these events on the local clubs. To be honest If anything, I thought Park Run might create a chance for the clubs to promote themselves.

A couple of months ago however, I attempted to promote my own clubs 10K event to Park Run runners. I gave out race entries to every finisher for two weeks on the run. In a follow up exercise, I checked the results of our 10K and the Park Run results for the weeks I gave out the flyers and apart from a handfull of club runners (who would have done our 10k anyway) there was absolutely no uptake from the park runners.

It does not appear to be fair that the clubs have to pay a licence for their races yet park run with its free entry does not.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    If it gets more people into running, it will mean more people will want to do more races and pay fees to join running clubs. I don't see it as a problem.
    Totally agree, the more people we can get off their sofas and running the better.... I doubt whether a lot of the Park Runners would enter a full blown race anyway so I can't see how it's impacting on race numbers and I don't think there's been a noticeable decline in entries.... stop your moaning.