Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Park Runs Destructive ?

Re: Are Park Runs Destructive

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Preston Harriers have tried to host a Mid Lancs XC there over recent years and been unable to. Funny that a park run can go ahead though. Must tick and few more boxes. Bet they get free use of the park as well as the free insurance as well.

I know what you mean King Witton Canute but It is now official, Preston Parkrun starts on May 12th in Avenham Park. It's a three lap route, finishing right next to the cafe in the park. Only one hill but you have to do it three times. :w00t:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Master

Great, I will have to plan a Constructive away-Saturday in the summer to sample the new Preston Parkrun - I will have to look for a gap in the FRA and road calendars when I'm not being Destructive on the Fells or tearing up the tarmac in my flats .
    I like new Parkrun's cos you can do a steady time and then go back later when you are desperate for a course PB.
    Milestone today - halfway between my 50 and 100 Parkrun Tees.:thumbup:
    Last edited by OB1; 28-04-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: constructive destruction of the English langauge

Marple parkrun kicks off on May the 26th

Master

Swoop, good to bump into you at flat-platt today. Sorry I was rushing off (to chores), and sorry I didn't initially recognise your 'greeting hailed across the park'; I thought at first that I was being accosted by one of those Fallowfield Hoodies that Dan mixes with. Now then, I must say in my defense, you must start putting away the winter gear and getting out the spring / summer togs soon, Swoop. It was fresh this morning but not chilly.

I am sat here mulling over having missed the Cake Race over at Saddleworth, wondering if I've been 'destructive'. But I have to admit that I couldn't have made it anyway without neglecting duties. As many have said, the beauty of Parkrun is that you can be back home by 10am before the Saturday chores start, and yet still, in my case, earn brownie points to spend at Sunday fell / trail / road paid-for races. Or on a BH weekend, earn extra brownie points for Monday too. What could be a better formula to keep all the ROs happy..?

Great turnout (100 runners) for the first Preston Parkrun yesterday:thumbup:

Also fantastic to see that Swinton Running Club have pretty much taken ownership of the Worsley Woods Parkrun - which is a great course by the way.

Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 13-05-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    Great turnout (100 runners) for the first Preston Parkrun yesterday:thumbup:

Also fantastic to see that Swinton Running Club have pretty much taken ownership of the Worsley Woods Parkrun - which is a great course by the way.

That Preston stat is impressive but does go to show how much the area was 'gagging' for a ParkRun.
    And 70% of the field had never done any other Parkrun before. That's a strong stat too (i.e. not too many were 'new event baggers').
    Of the 12 NW England Parkruns only 'South Manchester' (OK 'Central' Uni-belt really) at Platt Fields had >100 for their 1st. Although it took them 4 months to equal it. I bet that doesn't happen at Preston.
    Even the mighty Bramhall and Heaton (first NW movers) took weeks to get to the 100 mark (6 & 17 weeks).
    It has taken Pennington Flash over 1 year to reach >100.
    Some NW events like Oldham have been going > 1 year and rarely have >100 (only when other events are cancelled or visiting). Not a bad thing though.
    To me, 100 is a comfortable number for a park 5k - Bramhall and Heaton (and to a degree Platt Fields) are getting congested with 300+ runners, so the newer / less popular events appeal to those who dont like it too crowded.