Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Park Runs Destructive ?

Is Parkrun becoming the new Tesco? Shove one in wherever you can and then just because people start using it, claim that you're meeting a need (despite there being no great 'need' before it's existence?)

Interested to hear of the plans for Ilkley Moor Park Run. I would rather see 200 runners going out and back to the Swasticka stone each Saturday morning that the dogwalkers who leave their little dogs**t bags at the side of the path!

Its quite a nice easy route that one, gets to about 800ft at the end so 300ft of climbing - tough work for the buggy pushers out there

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Ilkley Moor Parkrun is going ahead, hope it doesn't have an impact on the existing annual fell races on Ilkley Moor. This will be the first Parkrun to cross a public road which is against the existing Parkrun rules. It's also not in a park!
    Maybe some bright spark with a double-barrel name will have a eureka moment and start a 'Moorun' series.
    Ilkley could be the first, and over time could come to be the Northerners Bushy Park?

PS. I could start a local Hobson Moorun, now that sounds a bit weird.
    We could set up the finish funnel below the Hobson Moor Quarry face, with a final 'bad step'-style descent.

Obi-Wan
    Last edited by OB1; 16-10-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: PS
    Powered by Ugali.

Two parkruns coming in North Wales (Bangor and Llandudno) - but then there are no parkruns in North Wales at the moment!

Welsh Harrier
    http://travellinglightatsixtyplus.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    Is Parkrun becoming the new Tesco? Shove one in wherever you can and then just because people start using it, claim that you're meeting a need (despite there being no great 'need' before it's existence?)
    Only when they have a ghost parkrun.
    However, parkrun is closer to a franchise system (see new Simpsons episode Super Franchise Me), so perpetual growth is their profit model. One day (years, decades..) the central admin/hosting is bound to collapse??? And do the sponsors for the monthly prizes have bottomless pockets?

Master
    Did my first one this morning - Fellfoot at the bottom of Windermere - this was its 3rd week - quite fun and a good setting - I will do some more. Nice to see children/dogs/buggies in the mix as well as lots who do not look like runners - yet there are some speedy folk at the sharp end.

Any suggestions for a park run near Manchester Airport?

I'm dropping the wife off at the airport at 7:30 sunday morning (4th Jan) so fancied a race.. No fell races in the area..

The idea was do a park run and head to Llanberis to see mates so ideally that side of Manchester or Chester..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

I'm dropping the wife off at the airport at 7:30 sunday morning (4th Jan) so fancied a race.. No fell races in the area..

The idea was do a park run and head to Llanberis to see mates so ideally that side of Manchester or Chester..
    Woodbank Park is fairly close. Two laps on tarmac but a tough hill on each lap.
    Cheadle Hulme is probably closer. All on grass but flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Woodbank Park is fairly close. Two laps on tarmac but a tough hill on each lap.
    Cheadle Hulme is probably closer. All on grass but flat.
    If you want hills best head to Lyme Park parkrun. The course covers some parts of local races organised by Goyt Valley such as Vannessa Chappell.

There's also Bramhall which has it's own set of short sharp hills and a good, if large field. Get there early, find a parking space and squeeze your way to the front!

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Hi Iain

Try the Delamere Forest Parkrun on the way back - not far off the M56. and it's probably just up your street.

Did a toughie of a trail race in New Hampshire on Saturday - 12 miles of fun up Mount Roberts which is vaguely Welsh! And they have parkruns over here as well.

Welsh Harrier
    http://travellinglightatsixtyplus.blogspot.com/