Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Park Runs Destructive ?

Re: Are Park Runs Destructive

Good spot Danbert but I think that was a one-off to tie in with a Nike Race the World day. The exception that proves the rule.

Seriously, if anyone has any reservations about parkrun please just go and try one.

If I have no fell race planned for a weekend I nip along to Hyde Park in Leeds and do their park run. Done 25 of them now.
    I know Leeds City A.C organise a 3 race series over exactly the same course in the summer, whether it is impacting on them at all I dont know.

I just use them as time trials, I doubt the majority of the runners would enter a race anyway.
    At least it gets people off the sofa and encourages them to get active.

I haven't done a park run yet, although I'm intending to get down to Endcliffe Park in Sheffield and run one there in the near future, I think they are all 5ks.

For established runners they seem to be a good way of varying the routine, maybe utilising them as an additional threshold (or whatever) session. That seems to be the feedback I've heard, and that is how I'll be approaching it.

For newer runners, they seem to be providing a useful and convenient entry point into racing and the notion of running 'en-mass'. We've certainly had a couple of new runners at Porter Valley that have done the park runs, got the bug and now want to take things to the next level, as in start running with other people, vary their training and start running other and more varied races. A couple of them have even expressed an interest in venturing out onto the fells.

I think on that basis they are a good thing.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    For established runners they seem to be a good way of varying the routine, maybe utilising them as an additional threshold (or whatever) session. That seems to be the feedback I've heard, and that is how I'll be approaching it.
    Simon you know where to go on a Monday if you need some threshold training!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Simon you know where to go on a Monday if you need some threshold training!!!
    Ian, don't, I'm gutted I haven't made it so far - race before last I got stuck in traffic getting over (turns out Paul was late too and ran solo anyway so I could have tagged along with him), and this Monday just gone was the day after my one road half marathon of the year which I absolutely battered so I was feeling a bit on the tender side this week. Now I notice the next one is the day after FTOP!! Or is that on the Saturday? I'm off to check and if so, book an hour off work to make sure I get there in time...
    Last edited by simgreen78; 04-11-2010 at 04:48 PM.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

...And it is! Excellent! I bought the new headtorch specifically for the Winter Series so it'll finally get some proper action!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    ...And it is! Excellent! I bought the new headtorch specifically for the Winter Series so it'll finally get some proper action!
    look forward to having you there. just remember this is an "away" race starting from Bradfield.

Good news for North West parkrunners, another 3 are being planned at Sale Water Park, Pennington Flash and Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Good news for North West parkrunners, another 3 are being planned at Sale Water Park, Pennington Flash and Liverpool
    any idea where the one in liverpool is planned for? sefton?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post

Leverhulme Park in Bolton too
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There