Thread: Parental Consent

Parental Consent

The standard race entry form (page 12) in the Calendar requires a signature by “Parent or Guardian (for U18 runners)”, where Guardian means Legal Guardian.
    However this form, showing senior vet categories, is inappropriate for use at junior races so the 2011 FRA Calendar will also include a race entry form designed for junior races.
    Race organisers will be alerted to this in the annual note forwarded by the Fixtures Secretary to RO who wish to have their event included in the FRA Calendar and be covered by FRA Insurance. The FRA Safety Requirements for Fell Races will also be amended.

The Committee recognises that less formal arrangements may have been normal but it believes that the inclusion of a standard form (which may be photocopied for all races) in the Calendar and which can be pre-signed by an absent Parent (or Legal Guardian) will provide greater legal protection to a RO in the event of any incident, as well as being consistent with the FRA Welfare Policy.

(Note: Lecky wishes it to be noted that he does not support the above changes.)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-09-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Re: Parental Consent

Hi

we have been using our own form for the reasons you say and also there is a clause about accepting photos may be taken. We are in Wales however (cue grype about FRA and WFRA :-) ). So how does this affect us?

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Hi

we have been using our own form for the reasons you say and also there is a clause about accepting photos may be taken. We are in Wales however (cue grype about FRA and WFRA :-) ). So how does this affect us?

Mary
    The new FRA junior race entry form will actually be based on the WFRA form.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I appreciate the need for this but it does need to be well publicised. I have signed a few forms over the years when other kids have come with my children. Very often these aren't "serious" fell runners so them and their parents wouldn't appreciate the need for this.

One question though - why 18 rather than 16 which is the normal age for young people to give their own consent?

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    One question though - why 18 rather than 16 which is the normal age for young people to give their own consent?
    It is my understanding that anyone under the age of 18 is defined as a minor in England and that parental responsibility exists until that age.

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    And the FRA Welfare Policy says that anyone under the age of 18 is to be considered a child for the purposes of that document.

Perhaps "minor" would be a better expression!
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

If you are U18 category in a race, but are 18 years of age, i'm presuming you can sign your own form in this situation?

As far as I can tell, once you are actually over 18 you sign for yourself. However, if you give someone a lift to the race who is U18 they would have to bring an entry form signed by a Parent or Legal Guardian.