Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Warming up...

Re: Warming up...

I think saunas at races would be awesome, they could be of Roman design with a hypercaust floor heating system fired by donations of old worn out running shoes and surplus numbers. Registration could be held there instead of cold village halls.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    Agreed,

Although I reckon if you removed the trampoline from under a rabbit it would cause a black hole which would ultimately end the universe. Fact
    Not if the rabbit goes down the hole and then comes back up and around the tree, then you just have a half hitch (I think, it's a long time ago, any Boy Scouts or sailors out there?).

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Not if the rabbit goes down the hole and then comes back up and around the tree, then you just have a half hitch (I think, it's a long time ago, any Boy Scouts or sailors out there?).
    I was a Boy Scout. Knot.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    Several points here in reply CL,

I didn't "measure" it as such because I have a life, I was only offering anecdotal evidence. I can tell it's helped by the increase in size of muscles round my foot especially on the lower inside of each foot. And the fact I can now balance for over a minute on each leg where before I could not. Also my arch is more stable and my foot doesn't roll in as much as it used to and I can complete foot arch exercises which I used to struggle with. Is that good enough?

This is rubbish, the change is in support and confidence as well as cushioning and this results in a lighter step, much more control, and a different stride (hence a new exercise) this transfers the shock to muscles and tendons which evolved for that exact purpose. A similar analogy would be a weightlifter who has trained for years to bench press 100kg on say a smith machine to then go and do a set with 50kg dumbbells and expect to be able to complete the same amount of reps and sets without injury which just wouldn't happen.

Warming up in a sauna - are you for real? Who told you that would work?

I don't warm up for fear of snapping tendons, I warm up because I have asthma and warming up allows me to hit full speed faster and lets me race properly. An example, without warming up (due to being late) I ran spofforth 10k last year and had a minor asthma attack halfway in but finished in 53mins anyway. This year I warmed up properly and ran it in 43.25 which was a PB. Granted I had another year training behind me, but the warm up was what stopped me having an attack. I've proved this numerous times on training runs especially in cold weather where the warm up is even more vital.

I'm starting to understand why people get frustrated with you Mr Leigh, you won't listen to anyone and you offer no real explanation to your opinions other than "because I know best". What's that all about?
    I'll let you into a secret. I used to run barefoot on a grass track over 20 years ago. I enjoyed it, but I was about 9 stone at the time. Ended up with achilles tendonitis. Must say I never noticed my feet getting bigger. Probably because I wouldn't know where the muscles in my feet were. Still don't, but I'm not the only one.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    Well I'ii stick to warm-ups cheers..........maybe you can tell me ,when I,m going 12*400,s on the track me first one is a slowish world of pain, but when I get into the set I,m 3-4 sec faster for the same effort?And its a fact these days unfortunately ,if I made a 100% effort from cold something would give.
    Well tell me since you're a person who won't try running full out with fear of snapping tendons, what you did before the first 400m rep?Wasn't a warm up was it? So it didn't help you very much on the first rep did it?

No actually don't answer those questions, I know the answers.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Just to clarify... Does anyone who has contributed to this thread actually think warming up doesn't help? It seems we're all in agreement that it does - of course. I think even CL agrees with it, but would prefer to argue with Nikalas about barefoot trampoline rabbit-jumping.
    Noel you've probably never tried running hard without a warm up. That's because you belong to the herd of runners who unquestioningly do as they are told.

Chris, I think you must have fallen of the planet Stupid. Normaly I dont post much on the training thread because I feel I aint qualified enough,and I'd suggest that you should do the same.

CL is the only person i've ever heard challenge the warming up thing, everyone else is in favour of it in some way or another, the only main difference being whether you stretch or not but that's another argument. I'm happy to follow the herd given that i haven't read any studies, and to admit that i do so, i don't think it makes me a sheep but then Christopher has accused me of being blind and helpless before.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Strong study, well summarised by a very well respected and qualified coach/athlete.

http://www.theendurancecoach.com/PDF...wBjaIJS2usRPk4

What a load of nonsense and I've noticed some of the sheep are agreeing without a full understanding of the facts. Making them look more silly than Noel actually is.

I'll mention one thing about that so called research, then I'm finished with this thread. Too many sheep making my blood boil!

Any competent researcher would include the two most important facts in any written piece of research: The date and location of the testing.

In true Antisocial style 'I won't be commenting on this again.'

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Noel you've probably never tried running hard without a warm up. That's because you belong to the herd of runners who unquestioningly do as they are told.
    I have actually. We once had a race of runner vs. bike. I was the runner, a friend was on his bike. This was to prove which of us would be faster up a steep hill. We only ran about 200 yards. It was quite close, so we both pushed it to the limit. I didn't warm up and in hindsight it was very foolish not to. I ended up having to take it easy for a few hours and had that horrible feeling that I can only describe as "tasting blood in the lungs".

So to summarise, my belief in warming up is not only based on countless well-designed studies and meta-analyses, but on personal experience.