Thread: cant get past itb...

cant get past itb...

Hello,

I'm trying to come back from a jumpers knee injury, I'm doing a little trail running (relatively flat stuff).

However my right itb is giving my knee jip (more so than the jumpers knee on the left).

I cant seem to do over 3 miles without it appearing (it seems even the slightest decline sets it off).

I'm seeing a Physio once a month, stretching everyday, bridges & plank exercises to strengthen & recently introduced rolling. oh I'm icing after exercise too.

I've also put some superfeet into my shoes too.

what’s the story with people on here...how common is this and how do people get over it?

cheers
    Craig.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: cant get past itb...

I've suffered with this a lot over the last couple of years. A couple of months of no running, combined with stretching, strengthening and rollering tends to do the trick, then gently ease back into it (build up over 3-4 weeks to usual mileage).

My mistake is I fail to find enough time once I'm up and running again to keep these up to keep it at bay.

I'm trying to do a bit of rollering (once clear, the most effective thing I find to keep at bay) at least twice a week. I use an empty beer bottle (Dent Aviator) to roll. Much more painful than a foam roller...therefore more effective? It certainly replicates the pain of the physio's massage more than the foam roller anyway. I can now do it so the only other bit in contact with the ground is my arm, so the maximum weight possible is bearing on my ITB.

Keep at it, and hope it improves soon.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

cheers mate, do you balance on the bottle or use hand pressure to roll it?

I've been really commited over the last few months (my excersise take 20 mins most nights...then stretching & the gym).

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    cheers mate, do you balance on the bottle or use hand pressure to roll it?
    Imagine a woman lying on her side, in typical 40's glamour puss pose. One leg on top of the other, facing sideways, and propped up on one elbow...*drools*

...er, where was I? Ah yes, now instead of on the floor, I mimic that pose balanced on the beer bottle, starting with the beer bottle at the top of the knee. I then roll down it s l o w l y , pausing where there's particular pain, all the way to the hip, and same again back to the knee. That's one.

I sometimes do (min)3 x 5, or as many as I can stand in a minute with a minute's rest.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I suffered from the same thing a while ago for a month or so. Strengthening and stretching really helped me out and now all I have to do is make sure I stretch the ITB four times a week and after every run and keep up the gym sessions.

If the pain ever comes back then I am definitely going to try that supermodel bottle rolling treatment!

Goals:
    Sub 39min 10k
    My Running Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    what’s the story with people on here...how common is this and how do people get over it?
    I've been battling mine for over a year now. My latest strategy is to stop everything completely for 5 months, i've done a year of intensive physio whilst keeping my running down to short distance but it's got me nowhere. I've had an MRI scan which showed nothing so all i have left to try is to immobilise myself completely and keep at the exercises. You need to be aware that you also may have to stop running in order for the healing process to initiate.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I had this about 3 years ago. I did a long race on the back of hardly any training, it's an overuse injury. My physio said as it was soft tissue damage it would take about 6 weeks to mend and she was right. You seem to be doing all the right things so keep up with the regular stretching and icing and try and rest as much as possible - easy to say I know! Good luck and hope you mend quickly.