Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Achilles problems

Naughty lil achilles

Hello ev'rybody!

I went for a10km training saunter round the forestry by us last night and even tho' I'd strapped my left ankle up (new Neo G support) I was finding the inside of my achilles was complaining...not so much as to stop me in my tracks but...could it be new support, lack of cushioning, or....?

I've RICEd it and strapped it this morning, slathering lots of volterol gel on it

Whilst I'm not running tonight I was going to see how it copes with a 5km tomorrow night...we've a cross Exmoor challenge mid August which I really really want to crack :-)

Any pearls of wisdom from out there in fellrunning land?

Ta ever so

Barty

Super Moderator

Re: Naughty lil achilles

Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    Hello ev'rybody!

I went for a10km training saunter round the forestry by us last night and even tho' I'd strapped my left ankle up (new Neo G support) I was finding the inside of my achilles was complaining...not so much as to stop me in my tracks but...could it be new support, lack of cushioning, or....?

I've RICEd it and strapped it this morning, slathering lots of volterol gel on it

Whilst I'm not running tonight I was going to see how it copes with a 5km tomorrow night...we've a cross Exmoor challenge mid August which I really really want to crack :-)

Any pearls of wisdom from out there in fellrunning land?

Ta ever so

Barty
    Is it stiff in the morning? (fnarr, fnarr). Have you recently upped your mileage? Any bumps, lumps or minor swellings and/or is it sore to the touch? If so probably tendonitis and you could try eccentric calf excercises. Try google or forum search; there are several threads dealing with achilles probs on here. Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks a million DT

Yes I have increased my mileage, but came out of the 10km with no [apparent] bother...its this last 10km thats given the bother

I always make sure I stretch my calves and achilles when I get up in the morning...and have found a couple of sites, which I will add to my regime, and which other forumites may find helpful

http://www.ashbournerunningclub.org.uk/achi.htm
    http://www.carletonsportsmed.com/chr...tendinitis.htm

Today's a rest day so will see how it goes tomorrow

Again, many thanks.

Barty

Super Moderator

I saw off tendonitis in my left achilles a couple years ago with similar excercises. It took around 4-5weeks then things improved rapidly iirc. I've got it again albeit not as bad as before but in both legs now and need to get stuck into the excercises

Thanks DT

Silly question (and I'm waiting for the shouting from other forumites)...but can I go on with shorter runs of say 5km in the build up to the event in six or seven weeks time, doing the exercises every day?

Barty

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    Thanks DT

Silly question (and I'm waiting for the shouting from other forumites)...but can I go on with shorter runs of say 5km in the build up to the event in six or seven weeks time, doing the exercises every day?

Barty
    I tended to ignore it tbh and just get on with it. I ran 31ml Howarth Hobble and Edinburgh Marathon while having it Rubbing Firey Jack (linament with chilli oil) into it helped a bit! Do the excercises every day and you'll be fine!

If it is/develops into acute tendonitus you won't be able to carry on. Just monitor it and hopefully you will run through it as often happens. 3 months with mine and I am just starting to run again

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    If it is/develops into acute tendonitus you won't be able to carry on. Just monitor it and hopefully you will run through it as often happens. 3 months with mine and I am just starting to run again
    Ady, what are your bio-mechanics like? Do you pronate or suppinate (run on the outside of your feet)? This achilles thing seems to be prevalent for suppinaters (sp) in particular

I over pronate and pack up the insoles accordingly. I still think getting that nail in the affected tendon in December was the start of the problem but who knows............?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    I still think getting that nail in the affected tendon in December was the start of the problem but who knows............?
    that sounds serious! What happened?