Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Achilles problems

Re: Achilles caused by fellsho

Sounds like there are quite a few people out there having/had similar experiences with fellshoes exasterbating problems around the achilles/heel area.

The link provided by Stan seems to describe my symptoms almost exactly well. I am begining to form the opinion that recent training has caused the 'retrocalcaneal bursa' to swell and this swolen condition is irritated further by the fellshoes which provide a much tighter grip around the heel area. The end result is quite painful if the shoes are worn for sometime.

Although I tried running yesterday (in road shoes), I only managed 400m before I decided that things weren't quite right. However my particular ailment seems to be responding well to ibuprofen gel and I reckon that I will be OK to try again tomorrow.

I also think I will be able to wear my fellshoes again if the bursitis has completely cleared, but in the mean time I am sticking to roadies. I may invest in a pair of off-roaders that have been derived from a road running background as a back up pair - those Mizunos look promising.

I've had this - I had a sore bump on my heel that got so bad that even walking with my walshes on was very painful. I bought myself a new pair of trail running shoes and switched from Walshes to Gladiators and it went away.

All my feet problems have been fixed by changing shoes!

One problem can be linked to tight achilles tendons. If you tend to run in "normal trainers" they have a bit of a heel where as fell shoes are very flat in general. This can lead to over stretching your achilles and giving you problems which you describe.

It can also exacerbate other foot problems like plantar faciitis and pereneol tendon problems the latter of which I have. One way to avoid this is plenty of calf stretching. There are of coarse other areas but this is another one to be given consideration.

Two days of rest and half a tube of ibuprofen gel and things have improved substantially. I even endured a punishing intervals session yesterday lunchtime with no ill-effects (apart from feeling knackered, of course).

The replies to this thread have been quite helpful and have influenced the approach I took to recovery.

One thing that I have learned is that the discomfort due to achilles bursitis can occur independently of achilles tendonitis. In particular the bursitis can be dramatically affected by simply wearing certain styles of footware. In my case it appears that just wearing the fellshoes with their slight grip around the back of the heel appears to be the main cause of the discomfort.

In the future I think I will observe the following precautions to minimise the liklihood of any reoccurance:

1) Avoid wearing fellshoes for non-fell activities (ie walking).
    2) Invest in a pair of 'trail' shoes for the more generic off-road activities and training.
    3) Reserve fellshoes for the really rough terrain where the slight movement in trail shoes otherwise would cause blisters etc.
    4) Don't wear shoes that feel uncomfortable - even if they were OK the day before!

I wouldn't like to think that the problem is related to fell shoes per se - I've worn them for years for running, cycling, walking, going to the pub in etc etc with no probs. Like I said earlier my problem (I think) was with some walking shoes.
    So it's avoiding the shoes that create the problem that's the key.
    A lot of the threads I read seemed to suggest that the condition was brought about by the wearing of high heeled shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I wouldn't like to think that the problem is related to fell shoes per se - I've worn them for years for running, cycling, walking, going to the pub in etc etc with no probs. Like I said earlier my problem (I think) was with some walking shoes.
    So it's avoiding the shoes that create the problem that's the key.
    A lot of the threads I read seemed to suggest that the condition was brought about by the wearing of high heeled shoes.
    You are absolutely correct, of course. My reference to fellshoes was really specific to the shoes I have been wearing. I deliberately avoided mentioning the make of fellshoe because I didn't want the thread to regress into 'that type of shoe is rubbish' discussion.

I agree that avoiding the wrong shoes is key - but it seems that finding the right shoes inevitably involves some trial and error.

I've had this on my left ankle on and off for a while now, and blame it more on 'overdoing it' than the fell shoes. But once it's present, the fell shoes exacerbate it more, and even after a few days off running, it's still sore. My feeling is that VERY gentle stretching and minimal running on uneven ground hastens the repair. After it's fixed the fell shoes seem fine ... until I overdo it again!

I've also had a lot of success with the suggestion off the ultrunr site where it was suggested:-

"stand on a step or ledge on the balls of your feet. Rise up on your GOOD leg, transfer your weight to the AFFECTED leg with ankle fully flexed downward (plantar flexion), and descend all the way down (to maximum dorsiflexion). Repeat 15 times (one set), and do 3 such sets twice a day. Also do these sets beginning with the knee of the affected leg partially bent, rather than extended (straight); this works the soleus muscle. Later on you can add weight, in the form of a backpack or weight machine on the shoulders, to increase the strengthening effect."

Now that I seem to be better, I have been left with a bit of dilemma.....

I am planning a run in the hills on Tuesday Night, do I wear roadshoes or fellshoes?

If I follow my own self-imposed advise I should wear roadshoes, but since everything seems to be working well I can't help thinking that I must have imagined the whole thing episode and I should trust the fell shoes a go on their home ground.

Hi I'm new to the FRA Forums and just starting out into Fell running - I did a few races last year but this year want to start getting more into fell

Anyhow.. years ago when I first started raod running I had a problem with my achillies.. same as your all having/had. I ended up having to stop running and go to physio.. the streches I got were the same as described a couple of posts ago and work brillaintly

I've had no problems since - untill a 18th party over xmas - at my age I ought to know better but I went and did the pogo anyhow for old times sake.. guess what - achillies set right off

Been hurting on and off ever since.. I'm trying to ignore it but this thread's made me realise that sensible me needs to be streching morning and night and mabey resting it a bit

Do you all keep training anyway?
    I'm a sod for that - but would be interested to know if anyone else would be doing the same