Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torn ligaments!

Torn ligaments!

Hello,

Some time ago I went over *spectacularly* on my ankle. My foot swelled up like a small balloon. Ouch. Being out on the hills and some five miles from the car, it made for an *interesting* journey back....

Got it all checked out and, aside from a fracture (which will heal relativley quickly), the doc tells me I have badly torn ligaments on the outside and front of the foot. It's *sensitive* even when I flex my foot.

Bad news - he reckons I need at least 6 - 8 weeks lay off. And even then he recommends running on roads i.e. flat to strengthen and get back into it. Bizarrely enough, the doc was a runner and had the same injury happen to him so he had some good advice.

So, there you are, I thought I'd share my woes. Has anyone done something similar perhaps? Can I do anything to aid/speed up recovery (aside from rest that is)?

Ta.

Re: Torn ligaments!

I went over on my ankle two weeks ago,

It was just a twist and I heard a crack.

It swelled and is still sore to touch especially on the bone of the ankle.

I did my first 3 mile road run on wednesday this week ( 10 days after trauma, I love the way some people call the incident a trauma).

the day after it was a little bit more sore than before I went running, but today it is fine again.

Im planning a 4 mile run tonight and I'll see how it goes. I have twisted in the past and my diary tells me that i give it a few days, thewn kept testing it. This must of eventually gone away cos I stopped writing about how my ankle felt.

Dont know about torn ligaments, but with a slight twist, I'm reckoning the best treatment is to keep it moving.

Good luck with the ligaments, I've heard they take a while to get right.

Its crap at this time of year because there are so many races happening

Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 11-05-2007 at 01:11 PM.

I tore the ligaments in my ankle playing football and it wasn't good news.

It took me over a year to be able to run over 6 miles. Everytime I ran over 6 miles I wasn't able to run at all for a couple of weeks. I was seeing a crap physio for a full year as well that took money of me (well works private health scheme) twice a week, which did nothing!! Then I discovered an excellent physio who got me sorted out and was back running in a matter of weeks.

I'd go and see a decent physio, if you live in the Manchester area I can recommend a very good physio.

Hope you get back running soon.

Hello!

Jamie - I did the same a little earlier in the year. That time I was back and running proper distances on the fells in 2 weeks.

This time, however, I was naughty. It happened right before a week in Snowdonia. Wasn't going to pass up the opportunity of running in that terrain so kept on when I should have rested.

Hopey - yes please! I live near Holmfirth so could get over to M'ster to see the physio. Can you send me a PM?

Thanks,
    Jan

Hi Jan

it's Duncan Mason and his website is http://www.athletematters.com/

A few people of this site see him and he's a very good physio.

Cheers

Jan,

I went up Helvellyn walking the day after I did this. That has probably delayed my recovery somewhat and I would probably be doing Buttermere this weekend instead of taking fotos.

Its funny how these things loosen up after about an hours walking or ten minutes running and you think oh great its gone away. Then the next day they are agony.

Im gonna take it slow on this, Im not really ready for the fells yet, I feel a tough descent would hurt, but I have put this on amber alert now and would call it an niggle now rather than an injury

Has the doc said your okay to cycle, if so get out on the bike or get a turbo trainer.

I got my first turbo trainer this week and was so excited that I planned out a weeks worth of sessions. I then realised that anything over half an hour is mind numbling boring even with gladiator repeats on the telly.

Keep a diary of how the ankle feels especailly when getting back into training. Once you are back running dont be a little scared if it hurts the day after, I found it went away the day after that, and it was a question of getting the movement back.

Also get hold of a wobble board.

Hope things improve quickly for you.

Cheers
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    A few people of this site see him and he's a very good physio.
    Ta for this. I'll see how I get on but might well give him a buzz, it always helps if someone comes recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    I went up Helvellyn walking the day after I did this. That has probably delayed my recovery somewhat and I would probably be doing Buttermere this weekend instead of taking fotos.
    Im gonna take it slow on this, Im not really ready for the fells yet, I feel a tough descent would hurt, but I have put this on amber alert now and would call it an niggle now rather than an injury
    Jamie, I kept on running. Ended up hobbling like an old 'un and crowned it off with a slow Moelwyn race time. Fine going up but absolute killer coming down. Ended up mincing about and it was a struggle to finish, especially going through the quarry tracks at the end.

Rest is best!!!

Haven't considered cycling, but a turbo trainer might be the ticket. Shall investigate. I'm desperate to keep a *modicum* of fitness as it'll be another month-ish before I can get back and thats SSSSOOOOOOO depressing....!

Hope you have a speedy recovery too! I quite fancied Sailbeck as well, having reccied the route last October. That would have been a smashing wee race!

Jan,

Did you keep on running on your latest injury, did it start out as a niggle then you probably wrecked it totally at the moelyn race.

Where you walking on it okay and running fine and the moelyn race just did it in. I think what I mean is did you tear your ligaments after the initial twist or did the original twist tear them

These things can be tricky
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 11-05-2007 at 02:33 PM.

I was bad.....it was the initial incident that did it and I ought to have resisted the temptation of the welsh mountains. C'est la vie.

Should have known better at my age....

Eek, so you raced on torn ligaments

Crikey, you must have been limping about just walking, never mind racing.