Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Amex

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Amex

Great post on the Fell Ponies site big guy, fantastic read. Legen...look away now if you're lactose intolerent...Dairy.

Rooting for you all the way!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Read it with a tear in my eye, a good report of a terrible incident, with a lot of credit for lots of great people. Really hope you get back to decent strength in that ankle amex, take it steady (not that you have much choice at the moment!) and careful.

Amex
    Great article, well done. Best wishes for your recovery. Hope the leg isn't too ichy and swollen. Make sure you look after your hands on those crutches - last thing you want is sore hands. (I learnt the hard way by crutching around EuroDisney for about 10 hours ;-().

In the longer term, NHS policy seems to be to leave metalwork in to avoid further operations with the inherent risks. In some cases that might be best but don't just accept it as being best for you and your running or your work / play on the hill.

I broke my fib in March 2007 trotting down a hill to catch up with the kids. It had a plate and six screws plus a long screw going through three pieces of bone to hold them together. I got back to racing by September i.e. 6 months. However, I had a couple of cases of cellulitis that seem to be caused by the abrasion of the metalwork under the skin. I then got increasing problems with falling over when my ankle rotated outwards and one of the screws hit a tendon. After some pushing, phoning and emailing the consultant directly, I got to be re-assessed. They took the metalwork out in April 2008. I instantly felt more comfortable all the time - it had obviously been niggling. It took until August for the holes in the bone to fill with new bone growth and be safe for running on and a few months more before I felt able to push it. I'm now back to being able to hurtle downhill without worry.

All the best

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichT View Post
    Make sure you look after your hands on those crutches - last thing you want is sore hands.
    Or, indeed, a sore crutch.

That's a wise post from RichT: both cautionary and ultimately heartening. After any serious injury, setbacks happen and it's easy to feel low. However, even if the timescale for recovery seems to stretch over the furthest horizon, things can come right in the end.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Hope you mend soon Amex. It's a rum do.

23miles due West of British West Hartlepool

Now then Mr Taylor carrier of undershreddies, what a write up about your unlucky day, very good read indeed!!! You are a hero, I dont think many, myself included ,could have refused the first offer of pain relief, for me it would have been GIVE ME THE DRUGS NOW!!!!!
    Keep your chin up and smile, at least we were the first ones to test the red vest out eh Steve. Thinking of ya,,,,,manly hugs from me and xxxxs from the missus x. Hope to see you next month when i get down your way...
    LOST TIME IS NEVER FOUND AGAIN, WHAT WE CALL TIME ENOUGH ALWAYS PROVES LITTLE ENOUGH.

I text Steve last night asking how he was after the quad bike accident and wishin him a speedy recover.

His reply was "Oh you must'nt have heard". Steve pardon my ignorance, I have not been on the forum for a while.

Bad luck big fella, one thing after another eh.

Speedy recovery pal.
    Jamie

A very emotional and yet humrurous report steve.
    I hope the recovery is going well. Im sure you will be back on the fells soon.
    All the very best
    Love from Dale & Denise XXXXX

I have just read this report in the lastest magazine (missed the report on fellponies).
    WOW! great read of a not so great event. My heart and support go out to you. The attitude you seem to have is brilliant, in many ways it made the read very inspirational. Mrs Superfly kept looking over as I kept wincing and exclaiming whilst reading it!

Sometimes I forget how dangerous this little sport of ours can be.

Keep up the good fight Amex
    Adam Speed
    P&B