Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Hartley PW Record

Nottingham at w/ends, Dunmow during the week

Mike Hartley PW Record

Hi

I am trying to get details of the route run by Mike back in 1989 and how it differs from todays route. I've seen quotes of 268 miles (as it is now) and up to 271 miles. Does anyone know the definitive answer?

Thanks

Sean

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

Re: Mike Hartley PW Record

im pretty sure he ran the Definative route as per wainwrights book,
    no shortcuts in the cheviots.
    he also ran solo proper,with no pacer or assistance.
    i met him just where you leave hadrians wall,we were doing a recce for our relay attempt.
    he wouldnt let us run within something like 3 yards of him!
    i offered him water and jelly babies but he wouldnt have none of it!
    he was concerned about lack of communication with his wife(no mobiles then)
    but he was going at a decent pace.
    proper character.
    sure someone will be able to give you what you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    he also ran solo proper,with no pacer or assistance.
    Mike Hartley did have pacers with him on the PW - Mrs J (though she wasn't Mrs J back then) was one of them !
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

IIRC, he set off alone but had pacers waiting after ? 10 ? miles. I can remember reading an account by one of his team that it was extrememely well orchestrated. Something in the order of:- He set off at something like 9 minute mile pace for the first 10 miles then cut the pace by 30 secs per mile every 10 miles. That is; 10 miles @ 9 minute miles, 10 miles @ 9m30s miles, 10 miles @ 10minute miles.......etc.......etc
    I think he was originally a Mercia FR member, but by then he had moved to C-le-M.

I do not remeber him being a member of C-le-M

Quote Originally Posted by Sean of Anser View Post
    Hi

I am trying to get details of the route run by Mike back in 1989 and how it differs from todays route. I've seen quotes of 268 miles (as it is now) and up to 271 miles. Does anyone know the definitive answer?

Thanks

Sean
    Sean,

Mike is a member of The Rucksack Club http://www.rucksackclub.org, I'm a member too, and can put in touch if you PM me.

Plus, as you probably know, Mark & Gerard Cudahy (also Rucksackers), ran a 2 man Relay of the PW earlier this year and set a new 2M PW Relay Record of 55 hrs & 18 minutes, they too could be of assistance on routes etc... I can put you in contact with them as well if you wish?

Cheers
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Mike was well supported on the hill and by his wife Gill at road crossings. We (Macclesfield Harriers) ran with him over the last sections to Edale. He ran the definitive route at the time. The exact mileage was 'disputed' then given variously at anything from 250miles (Walking the Pennine Way, Alan Binns, 1966) through to 270 mile (Wainwright's classic 'Pennine Way Companion'). The whole support team recently celebrated 21 years of the record in Malham with Mike and Gill Hartley, Mike Cuddahay was also there, along with many others from the not so distant history of long distance fell running in Britain. Mike ran and trained with Cannock & Stafford AC as that was close to his house in Rugely Staffordshire. He ran for a while on the fells with Mercia but joined Macclesfield Harriers shortly after his 1989 Pennine Way record as it was his nearest group of like minded long distance fellrunners. He was a member of Macc for 7 to 10 years through the 90s. He ran 100K races for Great Britain in the 90s and other raod and track ultras recording some astounding times. He was never in Clayton Le M. He joined the Rucksack Club in 1991 and is still an active member he is no longer in Macc, not sure about Cannock & Stafford, prob not. He spends a lot of time now Kayaking, mountain biking and running in the Scottish wilderness, sometimes publishing his exploits in the Rucksack Club Journal. He is still a very fit man ......but with sore knees.

One change to the route which makes a slight difference time wise is at the Edale end where the original route went up Grindsbrook and the new route goes up Jacobs Ladder ( a bit longer but easier going). Would be interested to know if Mark C & Ged used the modern route or the now defunct 'traditional ' one.

Geoff
    Last edited by geofpet; 02-10-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    Sean,

Mike is a member of The Rucksack Club http://www.rucksackclub.org, I'm a member too, and can put in touch if you PM me.
    Thanks, being new to this I'm not sure what PM means (!) ... oops, think I've had a revelation ... "Private Message"? by any chance? OK, after my initial thick moment, I'll go with that and ... PM you ...

Luv Shack!

I can't PM you as your inbox is full and until your purge some unwanted messages, we're stuck with full public viewings!

Let me know when you've freed up some space and I'll send through my contact details.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I do not remeber him being a member of C-le-M
    Do you remember Stan Bradshaw (funeral earlier this year), Frank Milner and (though I'm not sure about this one) Robin Price? Stan was my brother's God Father, Frank is my dad and Robin is a good friend of my Dad's who attempted the PW proper solo and failed due to hot weather so he turned round and ran back - not sure if there is a record for there and back again?