Thread: Ice Axes

Ice Axes

so I have read/heard about runners in winter conditions carrying ice axes on particularly grim and excessively nasty/slippery days in the hills.

as a walker I would carry a 55cm axe, but have never really thought about running with one.
    If a runner were to decide to take this as a necessary extra, is the "correct" (or should that be "advised") length, the same as a walking axe, or is it simply the lightest and shortest that you can get yer hands on?

Re: Ice Axes

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    so I have read/heard about runners in winter conditions carrying ice axes on particularly grim and excessively nasty/slippery days in the hills.

as a walker I would carry a 55cm axe, but have never really thought about running with one.
    If a runner were to decide to take this as a necessary extra, is the "correct" (or should that be "advised") length, the same as a walking axe, or is it simply the lightest and shortest that you can get yer hands on?
    I have a Cassin axe, quite some years old now, 55 cms and about 360 grammes.

Perfect for running days. I personally would want anything shorter. I'm 6'.

Probably a number of axes around lighter than that now.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post

We use these
    http://sports.ciao.co.uk/Camp_XLA_21...Review_5589833

No doubt there are other ski mountaineering axes available, incredibly light, fine for general mountaineering.

We have short ones, easier to carry, I think they are 50cm.

That's 210 grams.
    Last edited by IainR; 17-02-2011 at 10:30 AM.

I use a Camp Corsair Nanotech its got a steel pick so its a bit more usable than the alloy axes yet still weighs only 250g, I use the shortest you can get 50cm?

Must admit at times in Scotland wished I had a full steel axe as you've got to be a bit gentle on mixed ground and on ice the light weight makes it harder to get a good placement but you'll be doubling the weight.
    Bill

Bill is right about doubling the weight but I think it is worth the extra 250-300 g and use a http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsD...pid=8&pid2=113

I use a 45cms Mountain Tech climbing axe, I prefer the shortness for ease of carrying, it's also i find less cumbersome.

Beware super light axes. ok for occasional use to cross a glacier or as a last resort but if you intend to use it regularly get something up to the job.

Up until recently I've been using an old Stubai 55cm alpine axe but recently bought a 50cm CT Alpine Tour Light axe for something lighter. Had cause to use it a couple of times recently where I was very glad of it,most notably dropping off Stuc a' Chroin to the bealach, and its done the job but its definitely more of a 'just in case' axe.

http://www.mountain-works.co.uk/prod..._light_ice_axe

Planning on going over the Aonachs and Grey Corries this weekend and think the best option would be to take the Stubai.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I use a 45cms Mountain Tech climbing axe, I prefer the shortness for ease of carrying, it's also i find less cumbersome.

Beware super light axes. ok for occasional use to cross a glacier or as a last resort but if you intend to use it regularly get something up to the job.
    They are developed for ski touring, they just have limitations.

The main thing is the weight, its so light it's hard to get a substantial swing so it pings off ice, but for snow, even hard neve, I find it find.

We use ours a lot and they seem fine, I'd just be wary jamming it in cracks or climbing ice with it. I'd expect it to snap if torqued,

I have a pair of old Venoms that I use for general faffing around with, climbing etc, but they are a tad heavy for running with, so I was thinking about getting a lightweight ski-mountaineering axe (raven ultralight) at about 50cm as a saftey back up for running should i need something of that ilk heading out over frozen wastelands. (otherwise known as Wales). I wouldnt intend on using it for serious mountaineering and would use the Venoms should I be heading of for more adventurous and less "runningy-type activities