Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Headtorches - next generation

Fellhound

Headtorches - next generation

OK, it's that time of year again... Headtorch geeks, start your engines...

My trusty Petzl Duo14 is showing signs of cracking on the battery box after xx years of dependable use so I started looking at the market and even joined the candlepower forums (oh, the shame!)

I first spotted the Fenix H20, available on eBay for £70-80 and giving a light output of 230 Lumens. It looks like a quality piece of kit and 230 Lumens sounds nice and bright compared to the Duo or a Myo XP. I was tempted, but then noticed...

The Magicshine... designed as a bike light but available with a head harness etc and available as a full package (head harness lamp, battery and charger) from the American eBay for 96 dollars. This one gives - wait for it - 900 Lumens and there is also a 1400 Lumens version! Hope Vision 4 eat your heart out...

Has anyone any experience of these lamps?

Re: Headtorches - next generat

That would sort the full beam drivers out!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Magicshine is too heavy to put on your head and run with, it'll be all over the place. If you want one, get it from www.dealextreme.com, they're about £50. I've got one of the 900 lumen ones, the ratings are listed as theoretical maximum, not actual output. Actual output measurements are hard to compare because they depend on beam spread. Hope 4 is far brighter than the 900 lumen one, the 1400 is probably about the same, but the beam spread on the the Hope will be better.

HTH.

Disagree re running with the "900" lumen Magicshine - OK it is a little on the heavy side, but I find it's fine to run with, and actually moves around less than my relatively featherweight Zebralight H501. I think you'll find the Fenix HP20 will have too narrow a beam by itself for running. My top tip would be to get a headtorch with a decent throw for seeing what's up ahead, and a Zebralight (the H501w would be ideal) mounted on a waist belt to give a lovely floody beam illuminating the ground for a few metre ahead of your feet.

150 Lumen head-torch for £15 ! Go on someone, buy one and tell us what they're like! I'm thinking the build quality and comfort might be a bit dodgy for this price, but could be wrong....

http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/Cree%20Q5%20Headlamp

candle power forum rates the Magicshine at around 500 lumens.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Gravymuncher View Post
    ...too heavy to put on your head and run with
    HTH.
    People say this all the time about the Petzl Duo I've been running with for the last few winters but I don't find it any problem at all.

As far as beam pattern goes, this is a crucial one for fellrunning I reckon. The Duo's 14 LEDs are not the brightest thing ever and the beam length is pathetic compared to some of the much vaunted lamps that have come out more recently but they give a very nice 'flood' at your feet, which is exactly what you want. It's much better than (for example) my Myo XP 2008 in this respect.

Hmm... more research is obviously needed.

My current favorite all-round is the Myo RXP - same format as the XP but much brighter and better battery life. I like the Fenix a lot too. It does have a narrower beam but much greater throw. Probably best for trails rather than open country with no defined track - the Myo RXP works well there.
    Don't have the Magicshine but have thought about it for my mtn bike. I agree that it is probably too heavy for running, unless you are on smooth trails and have a smooth gait. I have run with several models of Niterider including one of the HID versions (bought them for field work) and you can land an airplane with lights that bright. Definitely a load and forward weight on the head, and that is with battery packs in a bumbag. If I was on the market for a new bike light or for field work I'd definitely get the magicshine - most lumens for your money.

The Hope Vision 2 is a great headtorch, but if it's out your price range then the Hope Vision 1 is a great light for the money, I've not seen any light as good for the money.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    The Hope Vision 2 is a great headtorch, but if it's out your price range then the Hope Vision 1 is a great light for the money, I've not seen any light as good for the money.
    The Hope Vision 1 and 2 both suffer from a too-narrow beam, and the Vision 4 is just TOO expensive. Hence, I've crossed all the Hope lamps off my list of possibles..

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Yeah you have Adrian, I know your jealous of that £15 one in the link above just like mine. Don't try and deny it!