Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Headtorches - next generation

Re: Headtorches - next generat

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    150 Lumen head-torch for £15 ! Go on someone, buy one and tell us what they're like! I'm thinking the build quality and comfort might be a bit dodgy for this price, but could be wrong....

http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/Cree%20Q5%20Headlamp

but with a battery life of 2-4 hours it's a waste of money, It wouldn't even last one setion of the BG, it may be ok as a back up but couldn't rely on that as my main torch

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    but with a battery life of 2-4 hours it's a waste of money, It wouldn't even last one setion of the BG, it may be ok as a back up but couldn't rely on that as my main torch
    If I was planning to do a BG then I wouldn't be using a £15 headtorch. As I run on Winter Hill and do night orienteering events it's ample for me and provides adequate light! I used mine a through last winter and it's still working fine!

Although it does run off AAA batteries so you could carry a few spares with you to increase how long you can be out for!

I use a £20 energizer argos jobbie and it does the job fine. I try not to use it to be honest because it wrecks your night vision but when it's really rough terrain or really dark you can't do without it.

My new Lenser has just turned up at base, I'll hope to pick it up soon. If it's any thing like the hand held it'll be awesome

My hand held lenser P7 came with 3AAA's in last winter. It's been used camping, on a BG and on a few night races and all the night searches/Excerises with the team and still has the original batteries in.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    My new Lenser has just turned up at base, I'll hope to pick it up soon..
    Have you tried it out yet Ian? How does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Have you tried it out yet Ian? How does it compare?
    Daughter was ill and wife away so never made it to HQ, will pick it up on Monday.

I've had my new Lenser on the go for the last week. Firstly, its like having a floodlight strapped to your head. In this respect, brilliant. I also like the sliding switch on the battery pack that determines the strength of the beam. Nifty.

I've had to attach a centre strap myself to stop it sliding down my bonce, but I already knew that would be the case before I bought it so fair enough.

My only real issue, and its a big one, is that the hinge mechanism allowing me to adjust the angle of the beam is absolutely rubbish. It is far too loose. On quite a few occasions the lamp has just flapped about in time to my footsteps and ended up pointing at my shoes. It can't be tightened. I've had a few slightly less conventional ideas to put it right which will require a lot more faffing, but I'll be doing so reluctantly. If I'd not sewn on the flipping centre strap I would have sent it back, its that poor.

Anybody had any experience with this on the LED Lensers? Are they all so loose or did I just end up with a duffer?
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

My Magicshine turned up on Monday, ran with it last night and it's Super bright!!!! Good Buy!

Quote Originally Posted by peawet08 View Post
    Yeah you have Adrian, I know your jealous of that £15 one in the link above just like mine. Don't try and deny it!
    I have to say I was impressed with your light last night.

I have a DealExtreme cheapo ($20) 'copy' of the LED Lenser (which is probably made in the same chinese factory, and is apparently almost identical but with a slightly less bright LED) and the hinge is not great, but not quite as bad as yours sounds. My problem with it is the notches are too far apart but it does also wobble about a bit. I've read somewhere of people taking out the hinge pin and putting in a little bolt, though I've no idea where you'd get a bolt that tiny. The idea is you can then tighten it up.