Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's headtorcher

Super Moderator
    Very pleasant run out last night followed by fine hospitality in the Turkey. Thanks to Brett and Sue for organising

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Very pleasant run out last night followed by fine hospitality in the Turkey. Thanks to Brett and Sue for organising
    Seconded. Good route, nice pub, fine hosts and excellent company.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

You had a better night than we did last night. From Barden Bridge some went up Simons Seat and I lead a group of head torch virgins round the strid. Wet to the knickers and how they moaned; but nobody died!

Last night was Bowlands first 'feral' torcher of the year to Gregarath. Just five of us made it to the car park at Leck parish church.
    I was initially there on my lonesone to take a very early lead up the long & winding road to Leck Fell House. By the top cattle grid,
    maybe 2/3 of the way to the farm, it was totally clagged in - maybe 5 metres, due to the torch beam 'bouncing back'.
    Once through the gate, on to the fell track, I set a bearing of 083* and pressed on through slimy boulder fields and whatever else.
    Often thinking, "This could be construed as a bit silly". After maybe 1/2 km I spotted, just to my left, an exceptionally faint trod that appeared to be heading in the correct direction. As I followed this trod I kept re-checking with my compass and hey-ho the trig appeared, just two strides in front of me.
    It was then a bearing of 000* towards the wall corner just below the shooting hut. After various adventures on slimy boulder fields and in spagnum bogs I hit the track and decided that I'd had enough adventure for one night and headed back to the farm and the road descent to Leck village.
    The fast group completed the full circuit - down to the wall corner, descent into Easegill and down along Leck Beck to the village. I'd been snoozing in my camper for over an hour when the foursome, including one lady, appeared.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Often thinking, "This could be construed as a bit silly".
    Mmmh. I am rarely so polite when talking to myself at night, alone, in clag and hoping my headtorch is going to behave...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    First ‘torcher of the season tonight with a few (socially distanced) pals
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Yes the nights are drawing in. Had mine on leading a club run through the Chevin woods.

Fantastic evening on Kinder yesterday. The full moon had just risen as we topped out at Kinder Low End, with Mars looking very red just to its left. Then Saturn and Jupiter were shining bright round to the south. Interestingly, the air temperature felt a few degrees warmer on Kinder than it was down in Hayfield.

Looking around I could see the head-torches from the various Pennine running groups heading off in different directions.

A lovely evening to be out in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Fantastic evening on Kinder yesterday. The full moon had just risen as we topped out at Kinder Low End, with Mars looking very red just to its left. Then Saturn and Jupiter were shining bright round to the south. Interestingly, the air temperature felt a few degrees warmer on Kinder than it was down in Hayfield.

Looking around I could see the head-torches from the various Pennine running groups heading off in different directions.

A lovely evening to be out in the hills.
    We were out too, admiring the sunset and then the moon and Mars. We also managed a headtorch dip in the Ribble at Stainforth Foss which finished things off perfectly

How long before a headtorch discussion breaks out? I think I need to move out of the stone age and swap 3 AAA batteries for li ion.