Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Rhobell Fawr

Well done Athers, for someone under the weather, you were certainly moving well enough up the fell!

Thanks for your thoughts, and i'm always willing to listen to those with more experience than me. When i first started i certainly did always go off way too fast, and then suffer. As I've gained experience and learned to pace myself a bit better, I've been of the feeling that it's more a case of being strong on the climbs but a lot weaker descending.

My descending has certainly improved, but as my climbing keeps progressing, i find myself at the top of the fells with comparatively better descenders, and struggle to hold position. I think some small evidence of this is Peris, where every year I've gotten faster on the descent to PyP, but this year i'd felt my descent was 'shocking', due to losing places, even though it was my fastest time on that section. But i was half an hour further up the field compared to the year before.

However now i seem to be bringing my descending a little more "up to scratch" maybe a slower start is something i need to play around with, and see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Travs; 05-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Going to give the ribs another weeks rest from racing so that I can be on the start line next Saturday.

Looking at the start list, of the 50 male runners entered 11 of them, including me are M60.

Is this a record percentage wise, I wonder?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Fell running for old people! Jealous I can't do this race, always fancied it. Walked the route a few times and its great.
    Went out with my wife a few years ago to do a little walk from Llanfachreth, and conned her into going "just a little bit further" so ended up at the top of Rhobell Fawr. I've been up there a few times from various directions and never seen a soul. However this time on a fairly grim day there was a Dutch family having a picnic on the top. I apologised to them for spoiling their solitude.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Looking at the start list, of the 50 male runners entered 11 of them, including me are M60.

Is this a record percentage wise, I wonder?
    Arenig Fawr this year had 6 M60s, 1 W60 and 1 M70 in a field of 30 runners.

It's called the Meirionydd Effect: old folks who should be shuffling around the house in slippers go seeking out the most remote, pathless mountains to run up.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Good luck to Llani Boy on saturday. This is a lovely race.

I must say, looking at the entry list, the ladies race looks particularly tight for saturday.

Thanks Travs. I'm looking forward to it. Three of us are going down tonight and making a weekend of it, staying in Llanidloes.

I cried off last nights RATRun from the Packhorse, Crowdecote, but went for the chips and beer (obvs), due to my calf playing up so its fingers crossed it holds up tomorrow.

Did you manage to break the hour mark Llani?

I'm afraid not Travs.

Three of us travelled down for the race which starts at the very civilised time of midday. Due to the forecast 60mph winds the RO announced that we would not be visiting the summit but turning around just below it in the little bwlch, a 100 feet below and around 300 yards from it. This was primarily for the marshals benefit, and although a little disappointing, was a wise decision as it was wild up there in the driving wind and rain.

There was also a slight change to the start, in that to avoid crowding in and up the bridleway at the rear of the village hall, we started all spread out in the field adjacent to the car park.

I really enjoyed the race but I couldn't seem to get my breathing right which is probably a hangover from the cold that I had just got shot of. No difficulties but that second wind never came. Apart from the rutted track, after the first mile and fifth mile on the return, this race is fantastic underfoot and my Mudclaws never missed a beat. My calf was fine until hitting the track on the return when it started to complain so I eased off a bit, not enough to be caught but enough not to be able to fully enjoy the final mile home and pick up any more places.

I was back in 27th o/a in 1hr 4min 13 sec. 2nd MV 60. One of my companions had a good run to finish 8th. The bloke who initially finished 3rd, from Wrexham AC, was disqualified after a kit check. I believe for not having a map.

Thanks as usual go to the organisers, marshals and the soup and cake makers of Llanfachreth. Looking forward to Tarren Hendre in January, the 2nd race in the Meirionnydd Winter Series.

After a night out in Llanidloes we stopped in Middletown on the way home on Sunday for a trot/recovery run up The Breidden Hills which are just before the English border. I have driven past these hills hundreds of times but never ventured up them.

Wow, what a lovely surprise. We did 5 miles and managed 1,500 feet! Great running and the view from Rodneys Pillar across the Shropshire and Cheshire plains is fantastic. I'll certainly be trying to do the Breidden Hills Race in the future. I suspect that Travs and others on here have already run it and, if so, would like to hear their thoughts.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 08-11-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Well done Llani. Yes i can imagine it was wild... i recall turning at the cairn a few years ago and barely being able to get down to the bwlch, and that was on a day when it was deemed ok to go to the summit!

Breidden Hills is a good race, have done it several times. Perhaps 10mins longer than Rhobell Fawr... apart from one descent off the 2nd summit which is really tricky, it's not overly technical... just a lot of hard work.

I do know the RO had been considering running it in the opposite direction, but i don't know what the arrangements were/are for this year.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Breidden Hills is a good little race - normally the first event in the Shropshire winter series. Mostly runnable with the only really challenging technical terrain being the descent from Moel Y Golfa. Its usually run the 2nd Sunday in October so just missed this years. Unfortunately I was dog sitting this year so couldn't make it.