Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhobell Fawr

Re: Rhobell Fawr this Saturday

Is this race reasonably 'numpty proof'? I quite fancy a run out somewhere different.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    A short while back I was loking details for your Meirionydd Round, I remember you writing it up in the Fellrunner, but couldn't find the copy anywhere (I give loads of them away). Couldn't find anything on the internet either.
    Any chance of posting it again somewhere ? Am I correct in thinking you did it solo without support, or am I mixing that with another of your adventures?
    I did the Meirionnydd round with full support. Later on I did a solo run between Pen-y-pass and Nant-y-Moch dam, taking in 12 large hills including Snowdon, Cadair Idris and Pumlumon - a very long treck.

Details in: http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/

Cheers
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Is this race reasonably 'numpty proof'? I quite fancy a run out somewhere different.
    Details and map here, looks quite simple, out along paths and trails then out to the summit and back the same way. I've not done it before though. Looks a nice area.

http://www.run-meirionnydd.co.uk/our_races.html

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Details and map here, looks quite simple, out along paths and trails then out to the summit and back the same way. I've not done it before though. Looks a nice area.

http://www.run-meirionnydd.co.uk/our_races.html
    Obviously not 'numpty proof' enough! I clicked on one of Yanis's links above and saw the map of Arenig Fawr - which looked like a nice run out. Not sure I fancy a straight up and down race...

Details of Yiannis's Merionydd Round is now on his website.

Looks a fair old trip!

http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/
    Iain,
    The Meirionnydd round is a little harder than the Paddy. It has some quite rough terrain in the Rhinogs between Y Llethr and Moel y Gyrafolen, around Arenig Fach and between Moel Llyfnant and Pont Fronwydd on the A494.
    What makes that challenge exciting is the fact that it links those four very distinct hill groups, Cadair Idris, Rhinogs Arenigs and Arans.
    There have been a couple of attempts by others: Colin Donelly had a go solo but got lost in the woods from Cadair Idris to Barmouth and took more than 24 hours. Rob Woodall had a couple of attempts solo and supported but was unsuccessful not for lack of ability but due to bad weather. He and Steve Cliff are planning attempts next year. Mark Hartell had a look at it some years ago but did not like some of the rough parts so gave up the idea.
    I can provide useful advice on some tricky shortcuts if anyone is interested.

Yiannis

I don't know that area well at all so I may start doing a few legs and have a look. Most of the course I've never been on at all. It'll be a good reason to get me outside of Northern Snowdonia.

Knowing quite a few bits of this appeals to me, not sure I'm up for it but will certainly have a look at it for 'days out' and linking sections. We'll see.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Hmmmmm... keep me posted if you fancy any long days out recceing this

(BUT.... don't let on to Toffer and Wheeze or you know what'll happen )

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Hmmmmm... keep me posted if you fancy any long days out recceing this

(BUT.... don't let on to Toffer and Wheeze or you know what'll happen )
    I've err, mentioned it already
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I don't know that area well at all so I may start doing a few legs and have a look. Most of the course I've never been on at all. It'll be a good reason to get me outside of Northern Snowdonia.
    Iain,
    I recommend recceing parts of the Meirionnydd. For example the Northern Rhinogs from Rhinog Fawr to Moel y Gyrafolen is an is a rough but splendid wilderness. There are some interesting rock formations after Clip.
    Talking about Migneint, watch out for Pwll Hwyaid, the duck pool, soon after Moel Iago (marked on the map). Perhaps the deepest bog anywhere!
    Some of my friends, including Rob Woodall are planning a recceing w/e on 8/9 December that will include parts of the Meirionnydd. I might join them on the Saturday but on the Sunday I will be running the Calderdale Way relays.
    Rob is a good contact:
    [email protected]
    Cheers
    Yiannis