Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhobell Fawr

Re: Rhobell Fawr this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I've err, mentioned it already

Cheers for that. I'll email Rob, it'll be good to tag along on some recce's but that weekend is out for me due to the Border League Road race Sunday, football Saturday.

That Snowdon to Pumlumon looks good too, there's one I've seen in a book which is a point to point, Barmouth to Conwy? I think, 80 miles or so, but apart from that havn't seen no many other Snowdonia challenges. I'll try and have a look for it tonight.

I was looking at repeating Chris Upsons Lakes 24 Marilyns in 24 hrs in Snowdonia/North Wales, but like him I am not sure it is possible, well for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Cheers for that. I'll email Rob, it'll be good to tag along on some recce's but that weekend is out for me due to the Border League Road race Sunday, football Saturday.

That Snowdon to Pumlumon looks good too, there's one I've seen in a book which is a point to point, Barmouth to Conwy? I think, 80 miles or so, but apart from that havn't seen no many other Snowdonia challenges. I'll try and have a look for it tonight.

I was looking at repeating Chris Upsons Lakes 24 Marilyns in 24 hrs in Snowdonia/North Wales, but like him I am not sure it is possible, well for me anyway.
    Iain,
    .....And there is Levento's Line, an easier linear run, that starts at Llangollen and finishes at Barmouth. It goes via the Berwyns, Arans, Cadair Idris and lots more in between.
    I reported on it a couple of years ago. I will soon put details in: http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/

If you need help sorting out the Welsh Marilyns, again speak to Rob Woodall. He has been bagging just about everything there is in the hill classifications. His knowledge of the hills is encyclopaedic.

Yiannis

Wow, just plotted on Anquet, I was so lost and disorientated I was suprised when I suddenly saw the start again at the end!

Is there a bit of forest bashing, looks like it needs to be well reccied. Looks very different to the PB, fewer big climbs but lots of smaller ups and downs. I'll start recceing bits.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

.......the Border League Road race Sunday, football Saturday.
    I can't do The Pen or The ToP due to my sons football, see you at the BL on the Sunday.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Wow, just plotted on Anquet, I was so lost and disorientated I was suprised when I suddenly saw the start again at the end!

Is there a bit of forest bashing, looks like it needs to be well reccied. Looks very different to the PB, fewer big climbs but lots of smaller ups and downs. I'll start recceing bits.
    The descent from the Cadair Idris hills to Barmouth can be tricky but with a little trespassing it becomes quite straightforward and involves NO forest bassing at all, just a nice path through the woods.
    Yiannis

Decided to go for a run in the Hirnants on Sunday, ran through Penllyn forest then along the Bulldozer track (with detours to all the summits) to the road then back up the next ridge and down to Feol Goch and back to the forests.

Off the main track was a real battle, thigh deep heather, undulating ground, bogs, troughs, only did 13 miles and was knackered.

In the weather a nice option and wanted to start to visit the area to get an idea of what is to come, hope none of it is like that though.

Pics here:

http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/

Weirdest sumit ever was the Turnip field on the actual summit of Stac Rhos at 630 m high!

http://bp2.blogger.com/_IoDbwwAfbtY/...h/P1010032.JPG

Anyway the Rhobell fawr race sounded nice, Steve G won, Math Roberts 2nd, this wife won the womens but sprained her ankle, pics on the blog of her ankle aswell.

I had a miserable game in Blaenau, a westerly coming straight across the pitch under Manod Mawr, absolutely freezing and lost heavily!

Rhobell fawr

Anyone attending ? Any clues on what the course is like and if it's well marked ? ...oh and do they give you a map or do i have to print out a map from Meirionnydd's web site ?

cheers

Re: Rhobell fawr

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    Anyone attending ? Any clues on what the course is like and if it's well marked ? ...oh and do they give you a map or do i have to print out a map from Meirionnydd's web site ?

cheers
    Alright Rodders,

Aye they give you a map.

Nice route - steady, fast runnable gradient the whole route, half the route is off the hill - up through woods and then dirt track.......route finding is possibly one of easiest ever - i.e. keep to lhs of wall all way to summit, saying that last year someone continued to follow wall over and on after the summit and ended up in Bala!!

And finally - get there early as parking will be a bit of a mare.....

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Rhobell fawr

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post

cheers
    last year's thread