Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: UTMB etc 2011

Re: UTMB etc 2011

A couple of interesting articles dissecting the aspect which has given most cause for comment:

http://insidetrail.wordpress.com/201...anc-aftermath/

http://polyenios.blogspot.com/2011/0...52785151686596
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

A couple of months on, and I've been reflecting on the races, both from my own experience, and what I have read from others who were there.

From the written material, a few common themes emerge, to me at least:

1. Quite a few people had real difficulty adjusting to the revised UTMB start time.
    2. A number of people were taken aback by the difficult weather in the early part of the UTMB. In retrospect, this seems odd. The local forecast made it clear early in the week exactly what was going to happen in terms of the storm followed by the cold front. The detail was refined over the last 2 to 3 days before the race, and by kick off time for the CCC on Friday morning, snow down to as low as 1,800 metres was forecast.
    3. The course changes, mid-race, also had a significant effect on some.
    4. At the top end of the field, the increasingly common perception of the race as the unofficial world championship has increased the pressure for great performances.
    5. Some runners are not taking the "messages sent by phone" system seriously enough.

For what it's worth, my experience in 2010 of having the CCC pulled from underneath me after 80 kms made me very realistic going into this year's race. Having seen the destructive power of the weather, even in August, I was well aware it could happen all over again.

Seeing the forecast, and understanding that I was about to run right into the teeth of an alpine storm front meant that I was only too happy to whip out the phone whenever a message arrived in the run up to, and during, the race. It might have been a life saver.

The high DNF rate in the UTMB suggests something else to me. One of the key attributes needed for this type of event is adaptability, and some just don't seem to have been able to adapt to a sequence of challenges on the day. (Visualisation is fine, but when the reality is so far away from the visualisation, a negative frame of mind is just around the corner.)

So, for me, lots more lessons learned again this year, mostly from a race I didn't run in. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to return to Chamonix next year and apply these lessons in one of these 4 great races.

I think all long distance races/challenges require a huge amount of adaptability. On my Ramsay this year a support rendevous (2nd one and there are only 2!) failed to materialise. But a bit of improvisation and a thinking on the fly got me around. Hope to do the UTMB next year but I think it will be massively oversubscribed!

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Ouch! That's more than the entry fee.
    What is the entry fee, by the way?
    As well as insurance, medical cert, travel and accomodation and kit, are there any other costs?

I had thought I would like to try the Marathon des Sables and wondered about trying to get an entry via one of these charities, but the fundraising looks horrendous - I don't fancy ruining my life for a year just to go on a running holiday with a load of playboys and executives.

I've seen quite a few vids of UTMB and it looks incredible - I might think about entering in 2013, depending on how much it'll cost.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    What is the entry fee, by the way?
    As well as insurance, medical cert, travel and accomodation and kit, are there any other costs?

I had thought I would like to try the Marathon des Sables and wondered about trying to get an entry via one of these charities, but the fundraising looks horrendous - I don't fancy ruining my life for a year just to go on a running holiday with a load of playboys and executives.

I've seen quite a few vids of UTMB and it looks incredible - I might think about entering in 2013, depending on how much it'll cost.
    It was 150 eur this year, but by 2013 I suspect it will be more like 180 eur. The UTMB is a fantastic race, and I suspect a far superior challenge compared to the MDS.

Race DVD arrived at the weekend.

Brought back many happy memories.

Have to say the TDS course looks fabulous if a bit hot this year.

Some video footage from the Pearl iZUMi ultra running team from the 2011 race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZTUz412Jep8

So its open to register tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Get in! Full monty (I hope) for me after a CCC jogette this year