Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinder Dozen

Kinder Dozen

Had a crack at this as a warm up for next week's OCT. It's a superb route (for those who don't know, it's a circuit of Kinder starting & finishing at Edale with 12 different ascents/descents of Kinder as you go round - 24 miles & 10,000ft) but certainly not recommended for weak ankles. You spend most of the time away from the main paths, with plenty of rough, tussocky terrain.

I'd set myself a target of 6 hours, so was pretty pleased to get round in 5hr 45mins. Bumped into Matt Hulley (Dark Peak) just as I was finishing, but apart from that saw very few people.

I carried no water at all, as I (correctly) assumed there would be plenty of water in all the streams. The weather was pretty good; a bit of mist on the tops early on (I set off at 8am), and a few short, sharp showers (including hail on Ringing Roger), but never cold & not too warm.

A most enjoyable day out!

Re: Kinder Dozen

Sounds fantastic indeed, especially on a brooding day like today.

What was your first ascent after leaving Edale? I'll go get the map out....super way to spend Sat night, with an OS map, but don't tell the wife!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Had a crack at this as a warm up for next week's OCT. It's a superb route (for those who don't know, it's a circuit of Kinder starting & finishing at Edale with 12 different ascents/descents of Kinder as you go round - 24 miles & 10,000ft) but certainly not recommended for weak ankles. You spend most of the time away from the main paths, with plenty of rough, tussocky terrain.

I'd set myself a target of 6 hours, so was pretty pleased to get round in 5hr 45mins. Bumped into Matt Hulley (Dark Peak) just as I was finishing, but apart from that saw very few people.

I carried no water at all, as I (correctly) assumed there would be plenty of water in all the streams. The weather was pretty good; a bit of mist on the tops early on (I set off at 8am), and a few short, sharp showers (including hail on Ringing Roger), but never cold & not too warm.

A most enjoyable day out!
    well done geoff

Blimey that seems pretty quick. I did the first 7 up and downs but then cut back to Edale in a time of about 5.5 hours. Was a few weeks ago when the weather was a lot warmer though and I started of with 2L of water in a bladder.

Sorry if I missed this but has someone posted the details of this route somewhere? It seems like ideal training for next years 3 peaks and I just love the whole Edale / Kinder area.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Sorry if I missed this but has someone posted the details of this route somewhere? It seems like ideal training for next years 3 peaks and I just love the whole Edale / Kinder area.
    Hi Bigfella

The usual start is at Nags head in Edale but I live north of Kinder so I prefer starting at the Snake(that way you can have a beer in the Nags Head half way round or stock up in one of the shops in the village)

Kinder Dozen- 24 miles-10,000+ft in 12 hours

Includes 12 ascents-descents of the Kinder and is it's ulitimate Challenge

Start Nags Head 123 860
    Grindslow Knoll 110 868
    Crowden Bank Stream/fence 102 861
    Crowden Tower 094 871
    Footbridge Jacobs Ladder 088 861
    Edale Cross 077 861
    Harry Moor Ford 065 863
    Kinder Low Trig 079 871
    River Kinder Stream/fence 073 884
    Sandy Heys Trig 077 893
    Footbridge River Ashop 091 906
    Fairbrook Naize 096 897
    Footbridge Snake inn 114 901
    Seal Stones 116 888
    Blackden Brook Stream/fence 129 890
    Kinder East Trig 129 878
    Upper Ashop Farm 143 891
    Crookstone Knoll 145 883
    Jaggers Clough Gate/Ford 154 873
    Nether Moor 146 874
    Edale YHA Stile/Stream 140 866
    Druids Stone 135 875
    Ollerbrook Clough Stile/Stream 129 867
    Ringing Roger Cairn 127 875
    Finally climb the steps of the Nags Head You deserve that pint.

Checkout the Kinder Killer in an other thread much more fun and not as hard if a little longer.

Geoff- Excellent performance, you must have been flying.

ian

Wow, that's quick GB!
    I did this about 6 months ago and took 8 hours.
    For anyone who is thinking of, it's tough (demoralising in a way(up/down/up/down etc)) but enjoyable. I would highly recommend it.

Wylie
    In endless fruitless pursuit of roadrunners...

Thanks Ian, something to train for. after all its only the skyline plus 4 miles and 5,500ft. Climbing has never been my strong point so maybe some work required there but the descents should be fun.

but the descents should be fun.
    Don't count on it! Once you are knackered I find the uphills a nice rest from the pounding you get trying to move fast downhill.

I suppose one of the reasons that I was fairly quick was that I didn't have to waste much time with navigation as I know Kinder pretty well. Also, I'd written down a few key bearings, so it was just a matter of setting the compass and going for it!

As for the descents - a few of them are a bit rough (especially down through Cluther Rocks after Kinder Low), but others are really fast, enjoyable running - probably none more so than the descent from Fairbrook Naze to the footbridge below the Snake Inn. This is supposed to be the half-way point. I got there in about 2hrs 40min, so I must have slowed slightly for the second half (not surprisingly!) In fact, the last 2 climbs seemed to take an eternity!