Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to train for the Hebden 22

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    150

    How to train for the Hebden 22

    Hi All

    I'm signed up for the Hebden 22 at the end of January. I'm just wondering how best to train for it. It's not meant to be a silly question!

    Question is, at 22 miles do I simply follow, say, a marathon training programme but with a lot of hills and off-road? I ran the Yorkshireman Off Road marathon in September, and followed a marathon programme for that. Would that be too much for a run 4 miles less?

    Thing is, I'm still 'getting back' into running at the moment following the marathon. So the thought of taking on a 'full blown' training schedule so soon isn't appealing right now.

    Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I'm looking to schedule a training plan in my diary over the next couple of days to bring a bit of structure and focus back.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Derby Tup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Worth
    Posts
    16,930

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Quote Originally Posted by wjr View Post
    Hi All

    I'm signed up for the Hebden 22 at the end of January. I'm just wondering how best to train for it. It's not meant to be a silly question!

    Question is, at 22 miles do I simply follow, say, a marathon training programme but with a lot of hills and off-road? I ran the Yorkshireman Off Road marathon in September, and followed a marathon programme for that. Would that be too much for a run 4 miles less?

    Thing is, I'm still 'getting back' into running at the moment following the marathon. So the thought of taking on a 'full blown' training schedule so soon isn't appealing right now.

    Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I'm looking to schedule a training plan in my diary over the next couple of days to bring a bit of structure and focus back.

    Thanks
    Hebden LDWA event is great and rightly very popular with forumites

    I'd do similar mileage but include more hill work. It'll probably take similar time as YORM and its four miles shorter. There aren't many, if any real steep climbs, but plenty of them
    Poacher turned game-keeper

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    150

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Many thanks DT

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    500

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Anyone got any info on the Hebden race ? Can't seem to find it on any race calendars.

    Am looking for a 20 miler around that time to judge the fitness for the 3 Peaks.

    Ta

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Derby Tup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Worth
    Posts
    16,930

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Race View Post
    Anyone got any info on the Hebden race ? Can't seem to find it on any race calendars.

    Am looking for a 20 miler around that time to judge the fitness for the 3 Peaks.

    Ta
    http://www.alangreenwood.biz/th2011/index.html It's an LDWA challenge event, not a fell race

    Alan Greenwood is a forumite too

    Previous years threads here:

    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-Hebden-Jan-23

    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...e-Hebden-Jan-3
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 13-10-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    500

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    http://www.alangreenwood.biz/th2011/index.html It's an LDWA challenge event, not a fell race

    Alan Greenwood is a forumite too

    Previous years threads here:

    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-Hebden-Jan-23

    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...e-Hebden-Jan-3
    Thanks DT.

    Like the look of that. Distance wise it looks just what I want. Any idea what the total climbing is ?

    Ah. Just seen on the entry form is says over 4000 ft climbing
    Last edited by Will.Race; 13-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Derby Tup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Worth
    Posts
    16,930

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.Race View Post
    Thanks DT.

    Like the look of that. Distance wise it looks just what I want. Any idea what the total climbing is ?
    Depending who you speak to probably 21-22miles and 4500ft+. A grand day out fantastically organised by Mr Greenwood
    Poacher turned game-keeper

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    500

    Re: How to train for the Hebde

    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Depending who you speak to probably 21-22miles and 4500ft+. A grand day out fantastically organised by Mr Greenwood
    and a beef butty half way and a piece of cake near the end.

    I'm in.

Similar Threads

  1. How to train over 60/65/70 ?
    By Alexandra in forum Training
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 27-04-2010, 07:13 PM
  2. the Hebden
    By Clive in forum Recce
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 17-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •