Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buttermere show

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buttermere show

I understand from a Wharfedaler that there is a fell race at this show. Anybody know any details. i.e where;time;distance.I'm in Lakes next week and have a pass out to run on Saturday!

Re: Buttermere show

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH JARSE View Post
    I understand from a Wharfedaler that there is a fell race at this show. Anybody know any details. i.e where;time;distance.I'm in Lakes next week and have a pass out to run on Saturday!
    http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/031018_Buttermere.htm

Only info on t'web is on this link, and this date back to 2003..... looks like you missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/031018_Buttermere.htm

Only info on t'web is on this link, and this date back to 2003..... looks like you missed it!
    It used to be the 3rd Saturday in October, but they moved it to the 4th, so you should be ok still for next week. I've not been for a few years since they changed the start field, and I think they changed the race route too. It used to be a cracking little show though.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

http://www.keswick.org/whats-on/fest...meet-and-show/

it is the 23rd, can't find a race time though, I fancy this as can squeeze it in...

spoke too soon, fell race at 1pm, cracking!

http://melbreakcommunities.wordpress...meet-and-show/

now, anyone know the route? distance?

Last time I got to this show (a few years ago now) the route went from the showground, up and around the back of Whin Ben - a subsidiary summit of Whiteside -and back to the showground - distance 1 maybe 11/2 miles.

Hope this helps!

• Date & time: Sat 26th Oct 2013 at 14:00
    • Region: Lake District
    • Category: AS
    • Distance: 2.75km / 1.7m
    • Climb: 300m / 984ft
    • Venue: Lanthwaite Green, Buttermere.
    • Grid ref: NY159212
    • Skills & experience: PM, LK
    • Minimum age: 17
    actually wearing sportiva's now

This race may yet be cancelled. The shepherds meet has definitely been cancelled due to weather. The RO is deciding whether the race can continue without the show. Will post more when clear.
    actually wearing sportiva's now

Hoping to still run the race.

More details tomorrow. Junior races unlikely.
    Slight change of course.

Andrew

Buttermere Shepherds’ Meet Fell Race
    Saturday the 26th October 2pm.
    The organisers of the Shepherd’s meet have cancelled the show following heavy rain, and the promise of more to come.
    I intend to still hold a race. The race will start at the published time of 2 pm.
    The delay in the publication of the decision has been due to the fact that I have had to consult the National Trust and the farmers with hefting rights over the common and the fell.
    Everyone has been very supportive and the race will go ahead as follows.
    Junior Races : These will not go ahead, however I will accept junior runners in the race. The race is about 3km long, so under 14’s and older will be allowed to enter – provided their entry form is signed by their parent / carer. I hope some youngsters take the chance to compete against the older runners.
    Car Parking : Will now be at the public car park at Lanthwaite Green grid reference NY 159 209. There is limited parking, but there are several large spaces nearby, and there is the possibility of parking cars along the road side carefully. We do rely on the support of the locals and the National Trust and I would ask people to take care to park in such a way that we minimize the opportunity for people to find fault in our parking. The car park is on the opposite side of the road to the race. Care must be taken when crossing the road.
    The Route : Will head off across the common to the bridge across the stream, this may be flagged. The route is then the same as the race route, up over Whinn Benn and onto the turning crag. Because of the new start and finish area, there will be a taped route on part of the way back which will prevent runners racing down the steepest part of the path that competitors are using to ascend. This start of the taped route will also be marshalled. Runners will then re-cross the bridge and enjoy the sprint over the well cropped grass of the common to the finish. Please do not try to cross the river without the bridge. At the time of writing it is quite full.
    Entry Fee : The entry to the race will be free ( see prize giving )
    Prize giving : There will be one and I hope to have it as soon as possible – 3:15 by the latest? We will operate a “bring a prize to win a prize” policy. When you register drop off a prize in the large collection of prizes that have already been assembled. Suggestions include bottles of wine, beers, chocolates etc.
    Looking forward to seeing people on Saturday afternoon. The weather forecast looks like we may get a rain free race.
    Andrew Bradley