Thread: Cop Hill Fell Race

Cop Hill Fell Race

Today was my first run at this race. Organised by Meltham Athletic Club and based at the impressive Meltham Sports Centre. Six miles and 880 feet of mainly saturated fields, footpaths, a bit of muddy woodland and a few sections of tarmac to join the off road bits together. The climbs were not steep but tough in the underfoot conditions.

On filling in the entry form I noticed that the race incorporated the Yorkshire AAA Veteran Fell Championships which explained the higher than usual number of mature athletes milling about!

It felt chilly prior to the start but as I lined up with the other 189 starters it warmed up so there was a last minute removal of my base layer. I'm glad I removed it as I was plenty warm enough in just my vest.

The race was won by Nigel Hockin of Slaithwaite Striders in 39:15. The first lady was Katie Walshaw of Holmfirth Harriers, 11th overall in 44:46. a new record time.

I was 26th overall in 48:30 and first M65. If I was a resident of Ilkley I'd have won a cup!

A very well organised and enjoyable event with the bonus of hot showers at the end. Not a criticism of the event but I found it to be more of very tough XC rather than fell race but having said that would definitely do it again.

Thanks to all involved.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 06-11-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Today was my first run at this race. Organised by Meltham Athletic Club and based at the impressive Meltham Sports Centre. Six miles and 880 feet of mainly saturated fields, footpaths, a bit of muddy woodland and a few sections of tarmac to join the off road bits together. The climbs were not steep but tough in the underfoot conditions.

On filling in the entry form I noticed that the race incorporated the Yorkshire AAA Veteran Fell Championships which explained the higher than usual number of mature athletes milling about!

It felt chilly prior to the start but as I lined up with the other 189 starters it warmed up so there was a last minute removal of my base layer. I'm glad I removed it as I was plenty warm enough in just my vest.

The race was won by Nigel Hockin of Slaithwaite Striders in 39:15. The first lady was Katie Walshaw of Holmfirth Harriers, 11th overall in 44:46. a new record time.

I was 26th overall in 48:30 and first M65. If I was a resident of Ilkley I'd have won a cup!

A very well organised and enjoyable event with the bonus of hot showers at the end. Not a criticism of the event but I found it to be more of very tough XC rather than fell race but having said that would definitely do it again.

Thanks to all involved.
    Yes, it a XC but with V55, V60 (x2) and YVAA (x3) wins I was always reluctant to quibble!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 06-11-2023 at 09:52 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It must be a fell race as I fell over and broke my arm badly and my rib the last time I did it in 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    It must be a fell race as I fell over and broke my arm badly and my rib the last time I did it in 2015!
    Given that most XC races are glorified parkruns it is tougher than any XC with its different terrain challenges and in being a two lap race is very unusual - and I liked it!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

So did I
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog