Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Thread: Tour de Helvellyn

Anybody else on this at the weekend?

General mountain forecast for the weekend looks a bit bleak. Although just returned from a steady weekend in the lakes, with 60 miles under my belt, a lot of that in decidedly poor weather, so hopefully got enough in the legs to survive.

Just had a look at last couple of year's results and they made sobering reading...!

Had a great time on Saturday, disappointing about the route change but understandable. Not much sleep in the hall the night before. Great porridge for breakfast!! Set off at 8am, got back around 12:40 when the weather started to get a tad wet. Thanks to all the volunteers and marshals and to Joe for putting on a great event!

This was certainly an interesting day out...

Having packed an absolute bagful of gear for the anticipated terrible conditions, woke up to find that the race had been shortened to around 25 miles and I estimate perhaps 4000ft... only going to the top of the zigzags on the way to Sticks Pass. A little bit disappointing, and in the event, apart from a freezing wind, and very icy, it wasn't actually as bad as expected. But given the forecast for whiteout and 80mph winds, -22 wind chill, it was correct.

Due to the shorter route I was able to do without some of my stock of food, and went without micro spikes, which lightened the load a little, and set off with a vague target of 5 hours. Reached the halfway turn in 2hrs27 so bang on target. Felt like I ran harder on the return leg, but it was not to be and after a valiant struggle, reached the finish in 5hrs01.

The time-trial format made it interesting... I seemed to overtake most if not all of the earlier starters, but was passed by quite a few speed-merchants as well. Although got my come-uppence on the return over Moor Divock. Pushing hard for the 5hrs, I took a massive fall on some sheet ice, and fell at full-pelt straight onto my arm, 50% of which is now black, and had been incredibly painful.... should have taken the micro spikes!

Great event... the Askham events (LM42 and this one) always seem to be great.

Did seem to my inexperienced eyes to be a higher percentage of ultra runners, as opposed to out-and-out Fellrunners. I'm no whippet on the descents, but the slippery conditions down Boredale Hause and Swart Beck really seemed to prove troublesome for quite a few, and in a change from the norm, pulled back a lot of time on these sections. Then again, it wasn't strictly a Fell Race, despite the tough terrain in places.
    Last edited by Travs; 21-12-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Did seem to my inexperienced eyes to be a higher percentage of ultra runners, as opposed to out-and-out Fellrunners.
    Definite, my finish position in it was much highter than I would expect in a comparable FRA race.