Thread: Box Hill 2016

Box Hill 2016

From a personal point of view today's race could've gone better. In fact that's an understatement, I had a total shocker....more of that later.

Box Hill without stating the obvious isn't exactly local to my Lancashire dwelling. So we made a mini break of it and had a couple of nights in Oxford beforehand. I like to indulge in some culture and the Natural History/Pitt Rivers museums more than hit the spot. Loved the Dodo, what is it with mankinds barbaric nature that amazing creatures like the Dodo are no more?
    Whilst taking in the sights of Oxford it suddenly dawned on me just how lousy I was starting to feel. Brilliant, I was coming down with the lurgy...headache, sore throat, aching muscles etc etc.

Saturday morning, day of the race and I'm feeling pretty shit. In hindsight we should of gone home and been thankful for 2 nice days in Oxford. But I don't do 'hindsight', so just over an hour later we arrive in Dorking...still feeling shit. Admittingly if I'd felt like this before a local race I'd sack it off...but we've made the effort, it would be rude not to.

Within a minute of setting off up the steep climb through the woods my throat is on fire. This I can reluctantly cope with.... my calf going at around the 3 mile mark is more troublesome. Blimey it felt like I'd been shot, on the plus side the lurgy became the least of my problems. The remaining 5 miles I spent walking/hobbling for what seemed never ending. When crossing the finish line I literally felt, as dead as a Dodo!

Thanks to all involved.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Get well soon Daz ,you soon be back on it...Life up north has it's benefits ...get some proper food and ale .

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Bill. View Post
    Get well soon Daz ,you soon be back on it...Life up north has it's benefits ...get some proper food and ale .
    Yeah, dangerous place, the South. Full of lurgy viruses that would never survive in the cold North. And the hills are made of chalk, rock hard when dry, slimy when wet; absolute death to your calves. What idiot would design a fell race course on that stuff -- oh, hang on, it was me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...I had a total shocker...
    Then you really are human!