Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's woodburning stove

Today's woodburning stove

Winter's almost on us, the Stihl has had a brushdown and the dancing orange light behind the square glass pane is casting shadows across the room - the dormant cast iron monster, alive again breathing it's red hot breath. Beware Jack Frost beware!

Anyone else cracked their's up then?

Re: Today's woodburning stove

Bought one a couple of months ago which is currently sat there waiting for winter to properly start so it can finally be used. I'm probably one of the few people looking forward to temperatures plunging.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Bought one a couple of months ago which is currently sat there waiting for winter to properly start so it can finally be used. I'm probably one of the few people looking forward to temperatures plunging.
    A winter treat awaits you!
    Can't beat it when it's free carbon neutral heat.

Super Moderator

I've got a fella looking at my broken boiler tonight. Sounds like I should have nipped over to Accy for a warm up Ady
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Yer careful Ady, we will all be knocking at your door

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    Yer careful Ady, we will all be knocking at your door
    BYOL* party at Ady's! :thumbup:

*Log, obviously.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

These wood burning stoves always get on my lungs and I end up coughing and wheezing if I stay close to them for long. I was in the Asheton Arms in Downham over Pendle way having a meal a few weeks back and they had one and they had sat us next to it as we had prebooked. I had to get up and move eventually it was that bad. Must be something to do with ventilation I suppose as I can't believe they are all like that ?
    No country for old men.

I don't know the science behind them Alf, but my dad has one and it's fine, no problems at all. (He has expained it all to me, but it went right over my head )
    He's also go one on his boat that isn't so high-tech and that can get a little smokey sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Winter's almost on us, the Stihl has had a brushdown and the dancing orange light behind the square glass pane is casting shadows across the room - the dormant cast iron monster, alive again breathing it's red hot breath. Beware Jack Frost beware!

Anyone else cracked their's up then?
    We had one fitted last year.:w00t:
    It has been on for a few days now on and off, I love coming down in the mornings to a really warm room as it's been on low burn all night. Even when it goes out it kicks out heat for ages.

Q) though Ady does yours 'tick' (now waits for loads of jokes about trying to light a fire in a clock) as it warm's up. once it's up to heat it's nice and quiet but as it warms up the metal ticks(like radiators sometimes do when cooling down)

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    These wood burning stoves always get on my lungs and I end up coughing and wheezing if I stay close to them for long. I was in the Asheton Arms in Downham over Pendle way having a meal a few weeks back and they had one and they had sat us next to it as we had prebooked. I had to get up and move eventually it was that bad. Must be something to do with ventilation I suppose as I can't believe they are all like that ?
    A stove shouldn't give any thing off as all the air is drawn in and goes up the Flue,it should only give off heat.

I went through Downham on the bike this morning and noticed there were a few chimneys emmiting smoke, you could smell it as we went through. With open fires you do get more of a smell than a closed stove even though the smoke drafts up the chimney so it must be this that puts you off you food Alf - no smell at all with the stove.

I think most stoves are made up of several fairly loose fitting panels so the occasional pinging is the expanding or contracting of the various parts.