Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's woodburning stove

Re: Today's woodburning stove

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Interesting! Our flue should be ok, It's pot lined and cemented in. We did have it checked last year before having the stove fitted and it got the all clear. we've also extra ventilation in the room.

What was worrying was after we had decided to go a head with the fitting, We got a gas man to come and remove the old stove and he was stunned at the crass ineptitude of the person who fit the gas fire. He would have turned the gas off he said and condemed it. No venting had been fitted and there were CO3 marks all around the fire!!!. Luckily we hardly ever used it. But it is a salient lesson.
    It was the fact that it leaked into the loft that was the problem at the cottage, some guys came round with smoke bombs and found the leak, i mthink that's how they test them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Will take a piccy this week and we can have some 'stoves in action' shots..........................
    Yes!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Mind you those coal burning fires were not the safest either :w00t:

http://www.geosociety.org/news/pr/04-30.htm
    No country for old men.

remember to make sure that the stove doesn't get too hot the first time that you use it - that includes an old stove after the summer. Probably not a problem with just wood but could be if you add a bit of coal as well.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    a man of your means could buy it ready cut.

and don't they use wood on building sites, plenty of free wood there.:w00t:

I bought some chesnuts from the local green grocers yesterday, they be getting roasted tonight.:thumbup:
    your correct in saying i could afford it
    would i want the hassle of chopping pallets and wood up and for that matter having a woodpile( no).

Ian, someone here asked me the question. Do you have to notify your insurance company you have one ?
    Maybe Im biased but a friend of mine at school got burned by a fire when he was young and ive always said to myself i would never take that risk with children. Dont have any chemicals in the house either.

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Will take a piccy this week and we can have some 'stoves in action' shots..........................
    Now I dont often post on here these days but I can almost guarantee my wood burning stove is bigger than any of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It was the fact that it leaked into the loft that was the problem at the cottage, some guys came round with smoke bombs and found the leak, i mthink that's how they test them.

Yep that's how they tested ours

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    your correct in saying i could afford it
    would i want the hassle of chopping pallets and wood up and for that matter having a woodpile( no).

Ian, someone here asked me the question. Do you have to notify your insurance company you have one ?
    Maybe Im biased but a friend of mine at school got burned by a fire when he was young and ive always said to myself i would never take that risk with children. Dont have any chemicals in the house either.
    I Don't think so with a stove but maybe with an open fire. When you have a stove fitted you get a tag/certificate to say that it has been fitted in accordance with fire/building regs, if you have one of those then I can't see a problem Certainly Mrs IDP doesn't think so. If however you fit one with out the the tag/certificate you might not be covered. Also when you sell the house it will be a problem as with out the Tag/certificate you may need to put it all right.

Mini IDP is now safe around fires and she won't toast marsh mallows unless we're there.

AJ I bet Nickys won't be far off, I bet I could get in it!!!!

Come on people, photos :thumbup:

Here's where i'm going to put my woodburner when i get our house...

I remember wondering how father xmas got in!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    There is quite a degree of smugness when your house if heated with free fuel and the central heating is in the off position. Also sawing wood up can be considered a sort of a hobby.................sort of. The smell of 2 stroke does it for me. Pics tommoz - in too late to light it tonight and will probably be asleep in 10 mins so complete waste of newspaper!

Had the stove lit for the first time tonight and it didn't disappoint. Each log lasted so much longer than in the old open fire. Feels good to have got it going. Roll on winter (at least from an indoors, sitting by the fire perspective).

Regarding the chopping and collecting, I agree about the smugness of having the heating off and sitting in a house warmed completely by your own efforts. Does feel good. The more self-sufficient the better for me, although I agree it is a job getting the wood in the first place, although I look at doing that and the sawing as good exercise!