Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Diagnosis Required

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Forum Diagnosis Required

Morning all.

Weekend before last, did a 6mi/2,400ft hill sesh on Pendle. No bother.
    Last Tuesday, a 10k headtorcher over Pendle. No bother.
    Last Thursday, a 3.75mi road run. No bother.
    Last Friday, a 4.5mi road run. No bother
    Saturday - start the second half of the FTOP...have to cut short as any steep climb was giving me pain in my lower legs.
    Sunday - long walk round Pendle, no steep climbing. No bother.
    Last night - headtorcher over Pendle...had to stop at least six times on the first climb to the trig due to the same pain in my lower legs. After that every time my ankle rolled it caused this pain, and eventually, it didn't matter what I was doing: shuffling uphill, or running downhill, I would get this same pain.

Where's the pain?

From an online diagram, I believe it is called the 'tibialis anterior', the muscle on the outside/front of the shin bone, and it is definitely in the muscle as opposed to the bone. The most intense pain seemed to be in the lower half of the lower leg. Beyond half way it eased and at the knee joint, there was no pain at all.

What's the pain like?

It's a burning sensation, like a severe build up of lactic acid...but after hardly any exercise. I struggled to stretch it off, because where I was stretching off one leg, the supporting leg was burning intensely, just acting as a support. In the end, my rests had to be sit down, legs bent, and massage the front of the muscle. Each time my foot rolled in, stretching the muscle, it would cause the pain to come back.

Shin splints was mentioned in the pub afterwards, but it is most definitely in the muscle, not the bone, and from the description of shin splints pain, it sounds different.

Any ideas what this might be? Why it might have come on all of a sudden? What I can do about it?

I'm on holiday next week for two weeks. If I'm still getting jip when I get back I'll physio it, but I thought I'd try you good people first!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Forum Diagnosis Required

SS

Shin Splints isn't in the bone mate, its the soft tissue surrounding it. I've had it before and must admit when I read your post I immediately thought "Shin Splints!" Its an intense burning sensation and strikes as you mentioned in the lower half of the lower leg, can happen in both legs at the same time. It used to feel like somebody was holding a flame up to my legs. It repeats on itself if not treated and can cause ongoing problems.

Some people sometimes think they have shin splints when they actually have a stress fracture - similar type of pain apparently - but as you have it in both legs that must be nearly impossible...

I got it when I used to run on the roads, my trainers were all wrong, its linked to gait, technique, comeback from injury, all sorts of stuff. Its treated with rest, ice, and something like Ibuprofen to take any inflamation out (you won't necessarily notice any inflamation, but its there causing the pain), and once rested building up intensity and frequency of training gradually. Oh, and I swapped my running shoes.

Obviously I'm not a physio or qualified bod so this is just a 'off the top of my head' kind of post, but from what you said it seemed to fit. I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Here is a good link from some guy in the US that will give more info...http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Educat...in_splints.htm

All the best

Simon
    Last edited by simgreen78; 20-10-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Forgot the flippin' link!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    SS

Shin Splints isn't in the bone mate, its the soft tissue surrounding it. I've had it before and must admit when I read your post I immediately thought "Shin Splints!" Its an intense burning sensation and strikes as you mentioned in the lower half of the lower leg, can happen in both legs at the same time. It used to feel like somebody was holding a flame up to my legs. It repeats on itself if not treated and can cause ongoing problems.

Some people sometimes think they have shin splints when they actually have a stress fracture - similar type of pain apparently - but as you have it in both legs that must be nearly impossible...

I got it when I used to run on the roads, my trainers were all wrong, its linked to gait, technique, comeback from injury, all sorts of stuff. Its treated with rest, ice, and something like Ibuprofen to take any inflamation out (you won't necessarily notice any inflamation, but its there causing the pain), and once rested building up intensity and frequency of training gradually. Oh, and I swapped my running shoes.

Obviously I'm not a physio or qualified bod so this is just a 'off the top of my head' kind of post, but from what you said it seemed to fit. I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Here is a good link from some guy in the US that will give more info...http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Educat...in_splints.htm

All the best

Simon
    I'd say that's absolutely right. Massage and manipulation of the area can also help, as painful as it may be.

I had acupuncture in mine once - that was pleasant!

Bugger.:thunbdown:

Was hoping it wasn't this, but then again, at least now I know I can get it sorted. Thanks for your replies chaps.

Still a couple of weeks on a Caribbean beach in Mexico should start the healing process!! Ole!

Shin splints is an umbrella term used to describe lower leg pain but I believe it's a result of the muscle either tearing slightly or pulling away flakes of bone from it's attachment to the tibia. I've heard you can ward off the likelihood of shin splints by doing weighted toe raises to help strengthen the tibialis anterior muscle (and it's attachment) followed by some stretching.

Do you heel strike on the road? Most people I know who have suffered from shin splints have been heel strikers and I remember reading the roll from heel to toe can be what causes it. Good luck, try icing it and massage as already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    Do you heel strike on the road? Most people I know who have suffered from shin splints have been heel strikers and I remember reading the roll from heel to toe can be what causes it. Good luck, try icing it and massage as already mentioned.
    Cheers Rob,
    Since my ITB problems, I've started adapting my running technique to be more fore/mid-foot strike. I've got a pair of F-Lites with minimal cushioning on the road which encourage this, and it has been making a difference (I can tell 'cos after each run my calves are very tight!).

I read pushing off with toes can cause it too. (chi running book)

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    I read pushing off with toes can cause it too. (chi running book)
    Dang it!!

I think it is also usually down to sudden increases in length or intensity of running sessions ....

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I think it is also usually down to sudden increases in length or intensity of running sessions ....
    Well, immediately prior to last week's training described above, I had had a couple of weeks of doing absolutely nothing due to being a bit ill and very busy at work, but immediately before that I was doing 5.4mi a day (with 11.5kg weight) on road 3 times a week, and a decent hill sesh at the weekend.

Maybe that first week back was just a bit too much too soon? Wouldn't have thought 2 weeks off would have made that much of a difference...?