Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: lateral ankle sprain (CF?)

Recovery from a sprained ankle

Around NY's I sprained my ankle. At first it wasn't too bad, but I lost stability and for about a week it would roll whenever I landed on uneven ground. For a week I went off the fells and just road ran.

Now after 6 weeks, it is still sore. If I really attack a down hill it goes again. As longas I take it easy the stability comes back but it goes again when I don't concentrate. The other night I landed in a pot hole and it went again.

Is this normal for a sprained ankle?

I've not rested it really, still kept up 40 - 50 mile weeks, done my ML course etc, but there's still a slight painjust below the ankle joint.

If I go out for 5 hrs or so it will get a bit sore towards the end, but not too bad that I don't enjoy the run. There still feels a lot of lateral instability. For example at football training doing star jumps across the pitch is very sore, and so is pushing off sidewards across the joint.

I tried an ankle bandage but the clever people sowed the seam below the ball of the foot, so a pain to run with.

Any tips?

Banned

Re: Recovery from a sprained a

I had a sprain at Kinder Iain and followed the advice on this website.

http://www.epodiatry.com/ankle-sprain.htm

PS I also rubed in comfrey oil every night and also put a cling film round when sleeping.

Iain i'm no physio but from what you've described it sounds like the ligaments may have been damaged by the twist. Did you hear a 'pop' like sound in your ankle at the time of the twist?

It seems odd that you're still getting the symptoms you describe after so many weeks, as usually you'd expect something like that to have gone away after 3 or 4 weeks wouldn't you?

I guess the fact that you're still running on it though is slowing up the healing time. Maybe (as horrinble as it sounds) you need to give it a week or maybe 10 days complete rest.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

No pop.

There was no really big sprain either, I think its more a build up of many sprains over a prolonged period.

Its (well was) definately getting stronger, but things like traversing hills where the injured ankle is down hill, is quite sore.

I thought I may have done damage, but you'd have thought I wouldn't be able to go out for 20 odd miles over rough terrain if there was something seriously damaged?

When you say "went again" what do you mean?

Are you absolutely sure you heard no pop or didn't get some sort of snapping sensation in there? If you did then you will have torn ligaments to some degree. If not theres a chance you have just strained them and you may be getting problems with the ankle being stiff and not operating in the way it should (ie instinctive responses to instability not working). The ankle stiffens up to protect itself and if it still stiff then things won't work properly.
    Either way, a physio will be able to help in terms of strengthening work and unstiffening the joint. Worth paying for - I've torn my ankle ligaments three times now!

No, definately no pop. There was no sharp pain either, just dull aches.

It is stiff though, especially after I've sat down after a run in the evening.

But it's my left foot and I'm kicking balls with no excessive pain.

I may well have to bite the bullet and see a physio. I've not been overly worried as I've still been running, walking and playing football. But it is a while now that this pain and instability has carried on for.

I know there's no chance I could do a fell race right now, as commiting on a big descent it would just give way again. Butruning at pace on roads, hill sprints etc it is fine.

A little town nestling in the pennine foothills

In my opinion the best advice is to go and see someone who knows what they are talking about! Book yourself into a physio and let him/her give you a proper exam and diagnosis which will followed by professional treatment. it took me months to get over my ankle injury so no quick fixes.

Widdy had an awesome sprained ankle a couple of years back, it was a real sickener, like a tennis ball under the skin.

When I started going over on my ankle (about 5 times in one race) it took a good 6 months to heal. I reckon orthotics in my fell shoes caused me to tip over much more. I got a wobble board to retrain the proprioceps (?) which are the sensors that are supposed to tell you now to go over on your ankle. Its fine now, but still tingles a bit some times.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

elastoplast 2.5 " width wrapped figure 8 round your ankle stops the sloppyness and repeat "going over" but not the pain.
    phil

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    Widdy had an awesome sprained ankle a couple of years back, it was a real sickener, like a tennis ball under the skin.

When I started going over on my ankle (about 5 times in one race) it took a good 6 months to heal. I reckon orthotics in my fell shoes caused me to tip over much more. I got a wobble board to retrain the proprioceps (?) which are the sensors that are supposed to tell you now to go over on your ankle. Its fine now, but still tingles a bit some times.
    I can certainly relate to the orthotics giving stability probs offroad! Wobble boards are also good but the best thing I've ever done with ankles is to get back on the horse straight away and get some walking and running done. If the ankle is stiff that is something that most likely won't go away and well worth getting sorted. Theres a good chance that, as well as the ankle probs, the loss of flexiblity will cause probs somewhere else (in my case the opposite knee!)

If you're moving about then I doubt things are too bad but one or two physio appts could sort the prob for good.